We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Card Monte Scam

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Three Card Monte Scam

Since I witnessed tourists in Paris being taken in by the Gold Ring Scam, I would like to take this opportunity to disclose to the naive and uninformed another scam. This is the Three Card Monte Scam and it was set up on Quai Branly just southwest of the Eiffel Tower. This scam can be played with items under cups or playing cards. In this case, they were using three colored disks. Keep in mind this is a scam because YOU will never win. You will see people winning. These are the shills and they are partners in the scam. The shills were also easy to identify because they were betting 50EUR notes, which I thought was a bit excessive to risk on a bunch of gypsies.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

This is a very old scam. Best to ignore them and walk on by, even standing around watching isn't advisable as there may be pickpockets around.

Edited: 3:41 pm, November 29, 2011
2. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:14 pm, November 29, 2011
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

I don't, which is why I said "there may be"...

Pickpockets are reputed for working crowds, they also use different distractions, so if people gather around and are watching, it makes it easier for pickpockets. Plus I recall reading about it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

anyone who would fall for such a transparent con and one that has been well known for a couple thousand years at least, probably shouldn't be out without a minder.

5. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:14 pm, November 29, 2011
Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

There's also this thread here, about 2 months ago:

tripadvisor.com/…36336097

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

Sure I've seen people playing and others gathering to watch. How do I know what?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

I would ignore serge965 if I were you, inna, he is a wind up merchant - that is all he has been doing in his so far 10 posts on the forum.

When are you going to stop criticising everyone else, serge and start to make some useful posts here??

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

I shouldn't hold your breath, Essex.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Card Monte Scam

This "Scam" originated YEARS ago on the streets of NY I believe. It's nice that we have "exported" our culture :)

If you want to know how to play. Hand your cash to the man/woman running the game and walk on....Same effect :)