We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz cars: avoid

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz cars: avoid

Car caught fire. Yes, FIRE. Waited for three hours for roadside. Towtruck operator was 17, refused to do anything. Firced to drive it starting and stopping back to lot. Still fighting with company.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

And does every Hertz car do this? Would the tow truck operator have arrived faster for other rental companies?

Edited: 2:13 pm, October 30, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

oh come on Kerouac -- you don't think Hertz should send their own service people or two truck or subcontractor to take care of a problem like this? -- or is this like all those apartment agencies 'that can't be expected to' deliver any service at all? if my rental call from a major company catches fire, I sure as heck expect their service vehicle there within an hour -- and whenever it does manage to show up, I expect it to do something besides leave me with the car

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

and Hertz has what control over the towing company?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

I can assure you, Janet, that Hertz subcontracts all of their roadside service -- with AA in England, with AAA in the US -- and since organizations like AA and AAA don't exist in France, with other companies to provide roadside service..

The gaps in communication get downright ridiculous...but they have absolutely nothing to do with the day to day running of the roadside service organizations.

Aggravating as it is, I'd have phoned Hertz back and demanded they re-open the job ticket.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

None of the rental places have their own road service. It was my experience in the U.S. as well -- they just send you the nearest subcontractor, good or bad.

I would like to know more about the location and the time of this problem.

Edited: 5:01 pm, October 30, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

it is this 'the agency in charge cannot be expected to' attitude that I find disgusting whether for rental cars or apartments -- it is on Hertz to get the job done and manage their subcontractors -- it is on the apartment agency to make sure the contract is enforced --- Alas this is a fantasy.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

au contraire: the towing company was SENT BY HERTZ. The instructions were GIVEN BY HERTZ. We did everything HERTZ said to do, including driving a dangerous car.

The a**hole towtruck driver was supposed to just come get the car. He told the people at the emergency call center, in fast street French that I just didn;t know how to drive - funny, I made it around Paris for a day from Orly the day before. He was just wanting to get to his next gig, and was not a mechanic, nor did he actually drive the car - just started it, revved the engine, left.

If you;d like ot know more, properly identify yourself and I'll be glad to tell you - especially if you are from Hertz.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

but it is a towing company SENT BY HERTZ - the guy doesn't work for Hertz.

9. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, October 31, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz cars: avoid

Martin:

It really is silly of you to describe someone as a troll who has almost 15000 posts.

It is pointless to call a US number if you have a problem with Hertz in France. The rental company may have the same name, but they are totally different ownership and management.

And if you are from Paris (as stated in your profile), why would you call the US anyway?

Frankly, I think that MartinNYID is the troll here, and has totally invented this unlikely piece of fiction.

Edited: 6:12 am, October 31, 2011