We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris pass - worth it? or not?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
99 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Paris pass - worth it? or not?

will be in paris end of november for 4 1/2 days and want to go to versaille for a day trip. any feedback on this paris pass for 145 euro (US$224) for 4 days? worth the buck?

also, what's the weather like end of november? rainy and cold? or just cold?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

Could be rainy or cold or not. Just bring the appropriate outerwear so as to be comfortable while out and about.

Generally speaking, there's virtually no way to outrun the cost of a Paris Pass versus pay as you go. It's not even particularly "convenient" and "skippng the lines" is greatly exaggerated (especially in late November).

You can do your homework and do the math or pay a whopping markup instead.

Anyone who describes this as a "fantastic value" just doesn't know any better.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,247 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

The "Paris Pass" is just a collection of other passes and tickets that can be bought individually for much less cost.

A Paris Museum Pass can be worthwhile if you intend to visit a number of the museums included in this scheme. For travel in central Paris, just buy a carnet of 10 ordinary Metro tickets.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

marketers of the 'Paris Pass' like to imply that it is one simple card that takes you everywhere -- it is not -- there is no such thing as a 'Paris Pass' -- it is a collection of other products like the museum pass and paris visite transport pass, all purchased much cheaper on arrival. the museum pass is probably a good idea for the plans you have -- the visite, probably not -- but you can assess it individually given your travel needs

combining them and adding a surcharge -- not really a bargain

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

<<any feedback on this paris pass for 145 euro (US$224) for 4 days? worth the buck?>>

No, I don't think it's worth the expense, particularly at this period.

Weather at the end of November can be anything, like everywhere, but big chances are that it will be cold and rainy, or rainy and cold.

Edited: 7:45 pm, October 20, 2011
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

Since you're from Southern California (as am I), you may not be prepared (clothes-wise) for cold, rainy weather. If that's the case, check the Paris weather reports about a week before you go and shop accordingly.

The last time we visited in November, I didn't know if I'd need a lined raincoat or not, so I bought one when I saw they were on sale at Nordstrom. I left all tags on it and I didn't end up using it on my trip, so I was able to return it, no problem. I did the same with a cashmere sweater I bought. That way I was able to shop ahead.

We had pretty darn good weather for our trip--but that can't be guaranteed, so just check the most current reports you can get before doing the final packing.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
99 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

are we better off just buying the hop on hop off bus ticket for 2 days and then just taking a separate day train trip to versailles? thanks all for your input. our hotel is hotel claude bernard st germaine. i'll be checking the reviews for it shortly. i only know it's in the latin quarter

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,247 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

The hoho buses are expensive and are not very good as public transport. You would do better using ordinary buses and the metro.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

The metro is really easy to use. My daughter mastered it on our first day at the age of 11. I haven't taken buses much in Paris, but I find them less intuitive than the tube (metro) in London. I think it helps to know the geography when you take the bus.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

The hop on/hop off buses are pricier than public transportation, but a terrific way to enjoy the scenery, monuments, neighborhoods, all about, IF the weather is favorable for enjoying those views from seats on the open air upper deck. It's also a great way to get around to all the popular destinations without learning the metro or bus systems, or traveling underground from one place to the next and missing the magnificent scenery all along the way. It's best to decide whether to use them once you're there and assess the weather. If you don't have appropriate outerwear along or have a low tolerance for chilly weather, they may not be for you.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris pass - worth it? or not?

If the weather is unfavorable, consider taking the Foxity tour on your first day, which is not a HOHO bus but does have an enclosed upper deck, just to help you get your bearings. It lasts about two hours. Otherwise, use the metro or buses for transport.

One suggestion, consider taking a taxi from the airport. It is a long trip from here in the OC and it is just easier. It would cost about €55. DO NOT take a shuttle bus as they are very unreliable in Paris.