We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

Hi

Traveling to Paris the end of this month. 2 must visits will be the Louvre and the Eiffel tower.

For the Eiffel tower, can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions in terms of tripods, monopods, etc.?

The only thing I can see on the official website is that no 'oversize' bags allowed.

Also, any specific lens focal lengths recommended? I'm traveling with a Canon7d+11-16, 35 and 100mm macro lenses.

And finally, any great camera angles anywhere around, on the tower?

Ditto for the louvre, what are the restrictions in terms of photo equipment and picture taking? 35mm DSLR's allowed? I assume no flash or tripods.

Thanks for any tips and advice!

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from $108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.60*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

No tripods and no monopods in either place -- the Tower is just too crowded.

No tripods or monopods in the Louvre either -- and no flash.

Great angles on the Tower will depend entirely on the crowd levels, the weather, and your own eye.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

Anytime I have been on the tower I have my Lowerpro bag with me this has canon 500d with a 70-200 17-85 and two wide angle lenses no tripod as it is not much use up there anyway. I use the 70-200 for taking shots across Paris towards the Cacre Coure etc.

You can use your camera in the Louvre with no flash but with the 7 that wont make any differance when you download them. A tripod is great at night especially if you have a remote taking shots from the Trocadero across towards the tower.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

The view from the tower is much less interesting than the views OF the Tower from ground level.

You can take some interesting shots right underneath it (the metal grates), and I think if you decide to take the stairs you might find a tripod useful, especially if you're planning an evening visit (which is worth doing).

The most "straight on" view of the Tower will be from Place du Trocadero, and I think the view from Pont Alexandree III is nice as well (which is really beautiful). But there's tons of interesting views of the Tower if you just wander around the neighborhood.

You should also add climbing the towers of Notre Dame to your list of might sees - that's another great view of the Eiffel Tower & Paris in general.

Another "cool" views would be of Ile de la Cite around sunrise. The Conciergerie agains the Seine, the outline of the Notre Dame, the bridges, etc.

I don't think you'll need the super-zoom lense, if you are concerned about all the weight & space they take up.

Have fun!

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

if you still have time and want night shots from paris (not sure tripod is allowed there) try the tour montparnasse! did that by night and the view was awesome...

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/3e/69/42/t…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

I would find a max of 100mm a bit restricting in terms of detailed photography from some distance, for example, of the ironwork of the tower, but you will have your preferred style. Weight is a problem for me so these days I tend to travel with an 18-200mm Sigma which does me fairly well. I have a 10-22mm but the additional weight makes it too much unless I am after landscapes and travelling by car.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

As far as an interesting view, walking away from the Tower, after you cross the Seine going towards the Trocadero there is a caroselle off to the left (there are two caroselles in the area, this one is across the Seine, though both make for good photos). I once saw an advertisment that had the caroselle to the left of the frame, the Eiffel tower beyond - I found the spot & made my own version of the image - it is nice. Other images of the tower that are good are from the neighborhoods in the area of Av de la Bourdonnais, where you see parts of the tower through the trees and the buildings of the area - if you don't mind walking around a bit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

Thanks for all the great tips! Can anyone tell me where, specifically, this image was taken in relation to the tower? I'd like to try a similar angle, but use an ND filter and a much longer exposure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gms/3631287009/

Edited: 1:42 pm, October 10, 2011
Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

This photo has been taken from the Trocadero.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

Another one you might try is on top of the Arc de Triumph you can take shots down the 12 avenues including all the way along the Champ Elysse and a night time shot up along the champ from the middle of the road.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eiffel tower and Louvre specific photography advice needed

jimb, the trocadero photo at this spot will always have people in it. A longer exposure will of course give you "ghosts" which may be what you want. You can then walk to a wall at the top of the embankment where you can have uninterrupted views. I got this one @ 200mm recently and was surprised to find the Eiffel Tower has the names of famous Frenchmen around it.

http://tinyurl.com/695h774

The next in this series gives the view from the wall.