We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

Hi Everyone!! I'm so thrilled that I will be going to Paris in June, 2012!! It will be my second trip to this beautiful city and I'm thrilled this time, I will be solo.

I want to sit in a cafe' for hours. I want to write. I want to people-watch. I am sooooo looking forward to it!!

Anyway - I am a 45 years young woman and thinking about staying at the New Orient Hotel. Money is an issue, of course.

Any other thoughts on hotels or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

A Happy American

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from $108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from $332.10*
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

How long will you be in the city for? You sound so excited! It's contagious!

Would you consider staying in an apartment? You could eat breakfast, and maybe even a few dinners, at "home" and save money this way. On the other hand, you may find it isolating, to be alone. If you're outgoing, which I suspect you may be:), you'd probably do well in an apartment. You may find it easy to mix with locals at the boulangerie, market etc. Anyway, it's something for you to think about. If so, have a look at this link. VIP is a great company. If you tell them your budget and other considerations, such as preferred location etc, they'll help you find the perfect apt for your stay.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/index.html

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

It looks like a lovely, affordable, hotel.

I prefer the buses to the metro (especially when visiting Paris solo), so would favor a hotel closer to a "hub" of bus routes to all over. But, as long as you're close enough to one or two, that run every day after 8:30 PM, you'd be fine.

Also, especially when visiting alone, I prefer at least one cafe/bar/resto nearby for starting out/ending the day every day.

45 is as young as you'll ever be, so enjoy!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

Thank you so much for your comments and replies! Keep them coming, all! :)

HappyGoin - It seems to me that Paris hotels and apartment rentals are the same price. I was kinda going with a hotel simply so I have someone who speaks fluent English. :\ I am okay with French but definitely not fluent! Otherwise, I would go for an apartment. I just want to have someone to help me out and the 24 hour front desk. Just someone to help, you know? And how could you know I'm outgoing!??!?!? :P

djkbooks - it appears to be a very nice hotel from user reviews. I plan on walking most of the time but I know how to handle myself in big cities. I keep only the money I need in my slacks and keep my hand on my money in my pocket when on le Metro. ;)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

HappyGoin - I'm still going to check out your link though! :)

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

One reason I prefer the buses is that you are able to enjoy the scenery along your journeys rather than dark tunnels.

You do not necessarily get "fluent English" at the front desk or even someone who is helpful. In smaller hotels, the person on duty at the front desk evenings/overnight, is far from fluent or helpful. At one place we stayed (where many assume he "pretends" not to speak English, but really does not), every inquiry was met with, "Check with the front desk in the morning, Madame." It all depends on staff during your visit.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

djk - I realize this from the last time we went to Paris! I will definitely be calling the hotel myself to speak to front desk staff! ;) I realize the night shift doesn't speak very good English at all most of the time.

I liked your idea about the scenery with buses and I agree. :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

I just stayed at the marriott renaissance vendome . It was perfect. Walked to louve and palais royal angelinas channel tulleries. Small boutique hotel with excellent English speaking emplyees who actually helped with everything. Beautiful clean rooms. Use Marriott rewards to help defray cost. I would definitely stay here again!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

I also like travelling solo and find taking my netbook and keeping in touch with trip advisor, facebook and Ourparis forum is useful. I like to post trip reports as I go along because the one thing I miss is not being able to "share" my joy with my companions.

So wi-fi is important to me. It is also useful for finding out information as one of th beauties of solo travel is being able to decide what you want to do and change plans at a moments notice.

Apartment vs hotel is a tricky one. You can get a studio apartment much cheaper than a hotel room and have more space. Try centerparis, I tend to use them all the time. They are a budget company and some compromises are needed but they probably give the best value for money.

http://centreparis.com/

I have always stayed in apartments but recently had a serviced apartment in Krakow on a solo trip and it was really nice to have a receptionist to say good morning to and to chat with at the end of the day. On the other hand I love to have breakfast in the apartment and to be able to make a cup of tea when I want or prepare a light meal.

Edited: 2:46 am, August 13, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

You need to read the rollicking blog of long time poster on TA, GitteK

www.myparisadventures.dk/23423/July%202011

If ever there was something to encourage the adventurous to do Paris alone, this is it. Read the earlier blog too, especially the one about checking out the talent at the Bastille Day parade and photographing the inside of the Hotel George V

myparisadventures.dk/14753/…20Madame

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
478 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Going to Paris! Woman Traveling Alone!

Just after I turned 45 I did a solo trip to Paris. Something i had always wanted to do. I stayed in a hotel in St. Germain - you can read my comments and get link to review here in my trip report -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10122…

I am returning for my 8th trip this December for my niece's 18th bday and renting an apartment. I think when I went alone I would have enjoyed a small apartment more than a room to come back to at night. My room was small and I think I would have liked being able to make a cup of tea or a drink and enjoying it in a comfortable chair with a book or my journal rather than just bringing something back to my room and sitting on the bed. Just a thought.