We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation to Versailles

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transportation to Versailles

A few years ago I traveled from Paris to Versailles. I recall it was very easy. Unfortunately I forgot the way. Can someone please outline the route for me. Thanks in advance. Happy travels!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

I think RER is easiest: take ligne C (yellow) in the direction of (surprisingly!) Versailles-Rive Gauche and that is also your final destination (Versailles-Rive Gauche) in Zone 4 and costing 3,40€

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

Not so easy when the line is closed for engineering work between Austerlitz and Invalides. This should be over by the end of August but they are suggesting the Metro to Javel as an alternative and picking up Line C there.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

Rick Steves PARIS travel guide gives detailed instructions including a map.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

Thank you all.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

www.ratp.fr is the place for up-to-date routings and full information the temporary closure.

The work is expected to be completed by 20 August -- and RATP is running a shuttle from Austerlitz to Invalides in the meantime.

No reason to schedule yourself on a crazy detour around the city if you're not comfortable using the Metro/RER

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

We took the RER from Montparnasse station to Versailles-Chantille (?) station. It was very easy although it's about a 15 minute walk from the station to the Chateau.

CA
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

Does anyone know if the work was actually finished on the 20th?

Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

According to the RATP web site there is currently no work affecting RER C.

www.ratp.fr/informer/trafic/travaux_ratp.php

BTW the trains from Montparnasse arrive at Versailles Chantiers which is on the direct line to Chartres. This option can sometimes work well for people staying close to Montparnasse if you don't mind a slightly longer walk from the station. The trip from Montparnasse is very quick — about 15 minutes compared to ~40 minutes for the RER C — but the fare is a bit higher. You can also take a commuter train from St-Lazare to Versailles Rive Droite another good option for some visitors.

Fullerton...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

We are staying in Pote de Clichy. What is the best way to take public transortation to Cateau Versailles?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transportation to Versailles

Go to Saint Lazare station ( direct on line 13) and take the train to Versailles Rive Droite

I much prefer this often ignored route..;especially if you staying in teh north of the city.

You get a GREAT view of Paris from the train and the 10/15 minute walk takes you through the lively shopping part of the town with it's great markets.