We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

telephone calls to USA from France

North Augusta, SC
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
telephone calls to USA from France

What's the cheapest way to make phone calls from

France to USA? Thanks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

Many French land lines consider the US to be a local call. My France Telecom line does -- as well as to 35 other countries. If you buy a phone card, a call to the US costs 0.01€ per minute, so the cost should not ruin you.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

"What's the cheapest way to make phone calls from France to USA?"

Rent an apartment with a phone that has free calls to USA. I don't think TA's rules enable me to give an example.

;-)

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

Try using a telecarte (phone card) as mentioned above. Years ago I had really good success with a brand called Iradium. I bought the cards that had scratch off codes on the reverse of the card. Calls vary, but I made about five calls lasting around 10 minutes each. I found that when using them from a hotel's phone the minutes subtracted faster. The tabac shops sell different types; those are just two brands.

www.iradium.fr/index.php?page=&langue=en

Edited: 6:41 pm, June 11, 2011
North Augusta, SC
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

Thank you for replies. We have rented an apartment which

does not have free calls to USA, so the phone card is probably

the best bet.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

VoIP is the cheapest. All you need is an internet connection and your laptop. Prices vary from free to just a few pennies per minute.

If you have an unlocked, GSM mobile phone which operates on the 900/1800mHz band, Lebara sells a SIM for 10 euros with 7.50 euros of talk time. Call to the USA are charged at 0.09 centimes per minute with a 0.09 centime connect charge.

Otherwise, any Tabac will sell the international phones cards as Paris1204 suggests.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
216 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

We used Skype. For a flat fee of $14.99/month, we could call from our laptop (with WiFi access) to any land line in the U.S. The connections were great, and we had no problems.

7. Re: telephone calls to USA from France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 03, 2012