We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DTW - CDG airfare in May

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, MI
1 post
Save Topic
DTW - CDG airfare in May

Hello,

I am planning a trip from Detroit to Paris in mid to late May. Right now, fares are in the $800 - $1000 range for May. Most airlines have fare sales through March and maybe April with prices in the $500 - $600 range. Should I wait for prices to come down, or is the price difference simply because May is considered peak season? Just wondering what a good airfare is for May.

Thanks.

atlanta
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DTW - CDG airfare in May

$1000 is a bit high for May from DTW. But, if you want rates of $500-$600, then you should try to travel by the end of March. The prices are always cheaper through March 31 every year. I can suggest for you to call a travel agent and see if they can get you a rate with a consolidator for May. It may beat the rates with the airlines direct as they are negotiated bulk fares. A couple consolidators that are very reputable are DER (division of Eurorail) and Skybird. With a consolidator it is a good idea to shop a couple travel agencies because they add their own markup (commission) and it could vary slightly with agency.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DTW - CDG airfare in May

We are traveling to Paris May 21. Our tickets were 998.50, but that included service charges and an additional small charge for paper tickets. Also, this itinerary is a bit different because we're flying back out of Naples, Italy. I've been tracking fares for months and they are not going down. Itineraries are filling up, so we went ahead and booked. We found the best price on Orbitz for what we wanted to do and the itinerary we wanted. You may want to try Priceline if you're flexible with your departure time (not date). They guarantee a departure between 6am and 10pm. If they accept your bid, they will charge your credit card. They may also give you a counter-offer which you can choose to accept or not. We have used them with success in the past. Can't use them on this trip because we cannot leave home until the afternoon on the day of departure. Otherwise, I would have tried Priceline first.