We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victory Day - May 8

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Victory Day - May 8

Hi,

I just saw in a travel brochure the Public Holidays for France in 2006 that show May 8 as Victory day.

This is one of my days in Paris...Does this mean that shops, museums and monuments (eg Arc De Triomphe) will be closed on the day? This is the day I will actually be arriving into Paris early morning and had planned to spend at least half the day doing some sightseeing.

I'd really like to know any alternative suggestions of what I should do on this day.

Thanks,

Roopa

PS What is Victory Day and how is celebrated?

Arc de Triomphe
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Army Museum
Monuments & Statues, Military Museums
59 Rue de Rivoli
Monuments & Statues, Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Les Jardins du Trocadero
Gardens, Fountains, Monuments & Statues
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victory Day - May 8

Most shops will be closed, but most sights open. Paris will be quieter than usual as many locals will take advantage of a long weekend to escape. Apart from a few low scale military parades don't expect to see any exciting celebrations.

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Victory Day - May 8

The Paris Tourist Office will display a pretty good list of what's open vs. closed on May 8.

But before that holiday, you'll have others like Easter, Easter Monday, May 1.

Check, before you leave under 'Museums&Monuments'.

http://en.parisinfo.com/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victory Day - May 8

Concerning the Arc de Triomphe, there will probably be a wreath-laying ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier in the morning, meaning a lot of security, the whole place fenced off, etc.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victory Day - May 8

Thanks. I had a look at the http://en.parisinfo.com/ site and looks like most museums and monuments are open so I should be able to fit in some sightseeing on that day after all.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ozgirl

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Victory Day - May 8

Actually, it's called in English "VE day" for "Victory in Europe day", since it is the day - May 8, 1945 - when Nazi forces capitulated in Europe. But, as you know, the war went on for 3 more months in your neck of the woods...