We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
17 helpful votes
Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

Want to know what brands of shoes to wear for walking in Europe. I brought one pair of Naturalizer shoes that i thought would be fine for me but i ended up having blisters, pain, and trauma to my feet after a couple of days. Then in London i bought a pair of clog type of shoes which ended up to be worst (no support and you strain alot of the side muscles holding you shoe up). I have wide feet. For a couple of days, I had to wear my husband's tennis shoes but due to my feet being wide the front part of my feet was scrunched up. Finally, I bought a pair of "El Naturalista" shoes in Amsterdam. Has anyone heard of this brand? I was told it's made in Spain. But the shoes in Europe seem to not have any labeling on it as it where it's made. It was ok. It had a thick chunky heel. It wasn't the greatest, but it worked for me for the rest of my trip. I will certainly need to buy some decent walking shoes and break into them before going on a trip. RE: the Dansko shoes that work for you ladies, are you buying the one where you could put your entire foot in or the clog kind that has no back? The backless one doesn't do well for me.

I have a pair of Unstructured Clarks that i bought. They are superlight but they don't give support so i wonder how that'd do when i'll have to walk alot. I walk uphill in them at home and they fatigue my side feet muscles.

Thanks....looking fwd to buying a few pairs of serious walking shoes.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,283 posts
11 reviews
66 helpful votes
41. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

The blister remedy sold in France is awesome.

They're called Compeed Pansements Ampoules and yes, they absorb the liquid from the blister ( if it has broken), keeps it all moist to speed the healing process, and seals out water and dirt.

(Compeed is the brand name, Pansement is a plaster/adhesive bandage, and Ampoule is the word for blister - yes, it's the same word as for light bulb -- this is one you just have to figure out by context)

They're available at any pharmacy and most grocery stores, and they're available in a number of sizes for different applications (heels, toes, hands, etc) They come in an aqua-blue box.

I know several people who stock up on them here because they like them more than the brand sold in the US.

Edited: 5:29 pm, May 06, 2011
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
108 reviews
578 helpful votes
42. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

I recently tried Softwaves which are sold in the States but are made in Portugal. They're comfortable and have good support.

http://www.softwaves.pt/

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
62 reviews
43 helpful votes
43. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

I have two pairs of SAS walking shoes (brown and black) and a pair of SAS sandals. They are both a size wider than normal. The owner of the shoe store I go to promised if I got one blister he would refund my purchase price in full when I bought the first pair. They were so great I bought the second pair of walking shoes and the sandals. The sandals are pretty cute, but the walking shoes, not so. I also had a pair of Merrells (Merrills?) that I loved but have worn out and they are no longer made in that style. I would also recommend an orthotic--my Dr. Scholl's ones look almost like my custom made ones for about 1/4 of the cost.

Here is the link to the store I go to:

http://www.shoesrx.com/sas_shoes.html

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
326 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
44. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

I have to confess I am a lot into fashion and HOWEVER I consider my favorites to be my black velvet split toe Nike's... comfy as tennis however more dressy because of the black velvet finish (i was lucky to find them), i have used them even to the theatre and changed into stiletto's at the restroom!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
45. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

I took a new pair of Munro "Tess" shoes with me to Paris in April, and found them to be very comfortable as well as attractive, as comfy shoes go.

For a comfortable sandal, I love my Mephisto "Sydel", available on www.zappo.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
32 reviews
34 helpful votes
46. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

I'm with you on the problem with wide feet combined with walking and travelling all day long.

The best things I have found are:

Take about 5 pairs of shoes with you (wear the heaviest on the plane). Wear a pair no longer than two days in a row then swap style.

Some shoes that I declared perfect at home, were not when I got there, due to the hot/sweaty conditions - they became quite slippery.

The best thing for me is a wide trainer with some arch inserts in (due to high arches and heel pain). they also have to have the comfy spring to the sole for some impact cushioning when walking.

Some of the best wide comfy shoes I have bought have ironically been in UK charity shops - I bought on two separate occaisions two pairs that were unworn with stickers on the sole and the best shoes I ever bought!

I do take some toe post sandals too and I used some special orthotic thick cushioned spongy tape to tape around the post - I bought it from Tesco in the UK years ago (you cut it to size) but now Tesco don't sell it, so not sure where to buy it.

I spent a fortune on various blister packs and potions and supports etc. Half were used and half unused, but if you can't walk due to pain then the trip is a disaster.

Have a lovely trip.

What I need now is some wide walking shoes for the UK and maybe abroad - I don't know where to buy extra wide walking shoes - if anyone does, please shout!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
47. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

Hi I do heaps of hiking but have really (really!) fussy feet. Heel pain, shin pain, blisters you name it I get it! My advice to you would be to go to a store that sell hiking shoes and ask to try shoes with a thick sole. The main difference in hiking shoes is the sole thickness and upper material (synthetic is best). Shoes with a hard sole will mean you will experience much less general foot pain. Next get a shoe that fits like a glove, they should be able to order half sizes if you need that. I would also suggest you do a bit of walking every day in the weeks leading up to your trip. Maybe a few miles per day. Many ppl need to work up their walking endurance before a trip that involves a lot of hiking (l certainly do). Lastly I can't recommend the brands keen,merril or scarpa enough or any hiking shoe made in Europe for that matter. I have gone through maybe 10 hiking shoes in 5 years and they are the only brands my fussy feet will take. I take a pair of keen shoes as well as a pair of more fashionable merril sandals when I go overseas so I can dress up a bit if need be. Hope you have a lovely time! (p.s sorry for the lack of punctuation, am typing from my iPhone!)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
48. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

Hi I do heaps of hiking but have really (really!) fussy feet. Heel pain, shin pain, blisters you name it I get it! My advice to you would be to go to a store that sell hiking shoes and ask to try shoes with a thick sole. The main difference in hiking shoes is the sole thickness and upper material (synthetic is best). Shoes with a hard sole will mean you will experience much less general foot pain. Next get a shoe that fits like a glove, they should be able to order half sizes if you need that. I would also suggest you do a bit of walking every day in the weeks leading up to your trip. Maybe a few miles per day. Many ppl need to work up their walking endurance before a trip that involves a lot of hiking (l certainly do). Lastly I can't recommend the brands keen,merril or scarpa enough or any hiking shoe made in Europe for that matter. I have gone through maybe 10 hiking shoes in 5 years and they are the only brands my fussy feet will take. I take a pair of keen shoes as well as a pair of more fashionable merril sandals when I go overseas so I can dress up a bit if need be. Hope you have a lovely time! (p.s sorry for the lack of punctuation, am typing from my iPhone!)

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
49. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

Ladies, I've tried them all being a teacher an on my feet all day. Danskos have the arch support but the bed is too hard if you walk a great deal. Mephistos feel great initially as the bed is softer but don't offer enough support. Clarks's forget it. I've worn Naot quite a bit even as a sandal throughout Spain and Italy! What is great about them even if they are expensive is that you can replace the inserts as they start to wear down! Check with the stores--most styles will allow it. The other shoe I wear on a daily basis - forget fashion but they work is Van's. They are designed frequently for skaters so they have great support throughout the shoe so the wear can take jumps etc. Vans will work if you are more concerned with comfort than fashion.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,283 posts
11 reviews
66 helpful votes
50. Re: Comfty Walking Shoes to Wear in Europe for females

but that's on YOUR feet.

That's why you just have to go to a shoe store (or two or three) and try on different shoes...and then break them well before you head to Paris.