We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
135 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Hi, I'm looking for a town/city near Paris that's worth visiting so we can spend a night or two there. After searching for a while I saw some mentioning Honfleur, Normandy, Chartres, Dijon and Auxerre but the way mentioned to get there are rather vague.

Most of them mentioned train from Gare du Lyon, but is it TGV or normal train? What is the train company official website?

Which of these town is nearer and cost less in transportation?

Thanks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,758 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Use this website for train schedules and fares:

www.tgv-europe.com

Normandy is neither a town nor a city, it is a region of France.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Why don't you try Provins, about 1 hour southwest of Paris, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site and well-preserved medieval town. Lots to see and easy to get to. It is a bit over the top with medieval reenactments etc. but if you have kids even better. The town as a very good website. Your other choices are very nice too but we've to Provins and found it a very nice spot for a couple of days.

Honfleur is beautiful if you have great weather but not great if you don't and Chatres is a day trip unless you combine it with another stop.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Why don't you try Provins, about 1 hour southwest of Paris, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site and well-preserved medieval town. Lots to see and easy to get to. It is a bit over the top with medieval reenactments etc. but if you have kids even better. The town as a very good website. Your other choices are very nice too but we've to Provins and found it a very nice spot for a couple of days.

Honfleur is beautiful if you have great weather but not great if you don't and Chatres is a day trip unless you combine it with another stop.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,590 posts
1,607 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Have you thought of Avignon - its a beautiful town in Provence also very easy to travel via the TGV train from Paris..

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Of the places you mention only Dijon is serviced by TGV from Paris. The trip takes about 1 hour 40. Chartres is a shorter journey by "ordinary" trains. If you want to travel by TGV Reims is one of your best choices, barely an hour from Paris. Tours, also just an hour away by TGV would be another possibility that would let you explore a little of the Loire valley château region. You could do this by renting a car, by taking locally operated tours to the château or by arranging a private tour with e.g. http://www.tourtheloire.com/

On some routes, particularly those connected by TGV, there are potentially significant savings if you purchase your tickets early, up to 3 months ahead, at the site Sarastro mentions.

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
478 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Nancy is a city to the east of Paris. It is the origin of French art nouveau and a compact city to visit in two days. If you like glassware, the Daum exhibit of 390 pieces is unique in the world. Lots of sights and good restaurants. Check my trip review under the city listing.

Best of all, it is 90 minutes by TGV from the Gare de Nord, which is also the Eurostar station. PREM tickets are available 90 days in advance.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Dear all, thank you for the suggestions. When mentioned Provence, is it the same as Aix-en-Provence on map? If yes, I'm afraid it'll be too far for us while the TGV cost is very high.It's too late to book for cheap TGV tickets as we're going in July.

Nancy, Provins or Chartres seem good. The TGV to Nancy is still affordable, though I still can't find Nancy on the map I downloaded. Is it possible for a day trip too, in case my travel companions don't want to sleepover?

As for Provins, how do we get there? Local train? I couldn't find this station on TGV's website.

Chartres is in the TGV's website, but may I know the meaning when it states 'Travel with Ten'? Is Ten normal train? The ticket price is cheap.

Thanks.

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
478 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

If you are contemplating a day trip only--make it to Chartres. The cathedral is one of the medieval icons of France. There are roman excavations to see. Bring binoculars for the windows and pray for a sunny afternoon for the rose window viewing.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Provins is from the Gare de L'est. We went by a local train, about an hour and if I remember correctly under 10 euros. The town has quite a good website with other options as well such as buses from Paris.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Town/City near Paris worth visiting.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had decided to go Provins after all, because it's closer and cost saving.