We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musical water show at Versailles

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Musical water show at Versailles

Hi,

I pre-purchaed Paris Pass online a day ago. It says free entry to 60 arrtractions. I got a email from Paris Pass Team telling me the following message:

"Versailles - when musical water shows are taking place, you will be unable to visit the gardens without paying an additional charge. Due to refurbishment it may not be possible to skip the queues."

Does anyone know when the musical water show start at Versailles, is it by season or by a certain time on daily basis? My trip in Paris will be April 20 to 26.

Thanks.

Edited: 10:25 pm, March 29, 2011
Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

This should help:

…chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/sing…

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

Thanks for reply to me. The Paris Pass gets its customers free entry for 60 attractions including Versaille. Looks like it may not be free entry when the musical water show starts...I took a quick look on Versailles website but didn't find any information about Musical Water Show.

Does anyone know about the Musical Water show at Versailles?

Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

From the page I linked in my last post:

Grandes Eaux musicales

Set off to explore the fountains with their jets of water and the wooded groves to the rhythm of the music. The paths stretch in several directions. Whichever you choose, you will be able to admire the Garden's many masterpieces. Keen gardeners and anyone with time to spare can penetrate as far as the most secret places in the garden.

Dates and times:

Saturdays and Sundays from 2 April to 30 October 2011 (except Sunday 1st May 2011) and Thursdays 2 June and 14 July 2011. Fountains working from 11 a.m. to 12 noon and 3.30 to 5.30 p.m.

Tuesdays from 24 May to 28 June 2011 and Friday 22 April 2011. Fountains working from 11 a.m. to 12 noon and 2.30 to 4 p.m.

Prices :

- Passport: Grandes Eaux Musicales, entry to the Château, the Trianons and Marie-Antoinette's Estate: €25, Book online or tickets available at the entrance to the gardens

- Grandes Eaux Musicales only: €8 (reductions: ages 6 to 17: €6), tickets available at the entrance to the gardens

- Free: ages 0 to 5

Jardins musicaux

Throughout the summer, as an attractive way of enjoying the gardens, the groves and protected areas of the château park will be open on certain Tuesdays from May to September for a musical stroll: a moment of discovery in the heart of Le Nôtre's French classical gardens.

Dates and times:

Every Tuesday from 5 April to 17 May 2011 and from 5 July to 25 October 2011 from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Music playing from 10 a.m. to 6.30 p. m.

Prices :

- Passport: Jardins Musicaux, entry to the Château, the Trianons and Marie-Antoinette's estate: €25, book online or tickets available at the entrance to the gardens

- Jardins Musicaux only: €7 (reductions: ages 6 to 17: €6), tickets available at the entrance to the gardens

- Free: ages 0 to 5

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

Thd Pass will give you free access to the palace and grounds every day. On the days that the fountains are operating (Grandes Eaux Musicales) or that the gardens have period music piped into them (Jardins Musicaux) you will be excluded from those parts of the grounds but can pay an additional fee (€8 or €7 respectively) to gain access. The lines for this additional ticket are usually short.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

Do be aware that this is not a timed show with the water choreographed to the music -- it's the fountains running while classical music is piped through the gardens.

(I quite like the music; it's nice.)

Croatia
Level Contributor
397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

I've been wondering about "Grands eaux musicaux" and "Jardins musicaux". I'm glad that this question was asked. Please, correct me if I'm wrong:

So, as I understand it from this post, for most of the time, while there is water in the fountains, the jets are turned off, and of course, like any other park in the world, it'is quiet. Then, for "Jardins musicaux" they turn on the music, but the fountains are still not on, I mean, there are no jets. They turn the jets on for "Grands eaux musicaux" along with the music, and the two are not coordinated, no coreography.

So to summerize, in order to see the fountains in action (jets), the only option is to come when the "Grands eaux musicaux" are on the schedule, and music is actually a bonus that you get. Am I correct?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

Exactly.

The fountains are well worth visiting even when they're not running, by the way, as it gives you the chance to appreciate the details in the statues.

Croatia
Level Contributor
397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

On the days of "grands eaux musicaux" how do you get, for example to Trianon, which is included in Paris museum pass, if they don't let you into the parc?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

They do let you into the park. They just exclude you from the part of the gardens where the fountains are located unless you pay the additional admission. If you are there when the fountains are operating I wouldn't miss them in any case. They are really quite remarkable as an example of 17th/18th century engineering and technology. Well worth the extra €8 IMO...

Croatia
Level Contributor
397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Musical water show at Versailles

I would definitely pay 8€ more for the fountains - but reading about the crowds at Versailles, I assume, and that kind of horrifies me, that they would be EVEN BIGGER on days with "Grands eaux musicals"...

Or maybe it doesn't make any difference in summer?

I could choose between Saturday the 9th or Tuesday the 12th of July...