We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France Airlines

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Air France Airlines

Has anybody had problems with getting their seats they picked when booking?

Last Air France flight we booked 6 months in advance, reserved seats, got to the airport and was told seats are requested not guaranteed. Would like to book another international flight with them but don't want to worry about the seat issue.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France Airlines

What happened after that?

We've flown Air France many times and have always gotten our chosen assigned seats. The one time we did not (and we were reminded that seats are requested, not guaranteed), we were able to get reassigned to exit row seats, so we were thrilled.

And, on planes with upper levels (where any seats are better than any below), we've been able to get reassigned to those, by arriving at the airport early, for no extra charge.

I think the only time you would not receive your seats chosen in advance would be if you were reassigned for people with higher Flying Blue status for some reason, or if a different aircraft with different seat configurations was substituted after you booked.

I doubt there is any airline with no worries about the seat assignment issue. Most airlines will do their very best to accommodate you. Obviously, this is more difficult on full flights.

Also, your chances of getting your selected seats are far better if you book directly with the airline. Often, when booking through a third party, your chosen seats appear on your confirmation but they are somehow not communicated correctly to the airline, or those seats weren't really available by the time your transaction was completed. So, when booking through a third party, it's a good idea to check your airline booking number on the airline's website to ensure everything is in order.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France Airlines

We had window, aisle seats reserved. We sat in the middle of the middle row and were told seats are requested. Was wondering how often this happens?

We booked directly with Air France.

Edited: 9:50 am, March 28, 2011
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France Airlines

Seats get reassigned when there is an "equipment change" for some reason.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France Airlines

As djk said, I've had this happen on Air France when the aircraft was changed between the time I booked (directly with the airline) and the time of travel.

Fwiw, I told the flight attendant politely what had happened, and asked her if there was a better seat. After the plane was fully boarded, she came and moved me to an exit row seat. I'm guessing *politely* is the key word there.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France Airlines

Seating on all airlines are never guaranteed. It is not exclusive to Air France. As mentioned already if the aircraft has been changed so will the seats.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France Airlines

From LAX to CDG we have always gotten the seats we requested at the booking. From CDG to LAX we have on occaision not gotten the seats we had requested.

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France Airlines

I have had the same experience in business class on Air France (two times, each when travelling with two family members); zero times on United or American. I fly one of those three carriers once or twice a month between Paris and various US cities. I had feeling that it was higher-ranked Flying Blue members or a politician pulling rank.

Detroit
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France Airlines

I am challenged with this very situation right now. I am traveling with my two daughters from Detroit to Paris on thursday. I have been unable to even get seat assignments on my Air France flights. I was at the Detroit airport a few weeks ago and physically went up to AF counter ( not to be confused with Delta!) and was assigned seats and even got a print out. These assigned seats still do not show up on my reservation through Delta. I am hoping that this is all takend care of before we arrice. I had this same problem with AF last November and we got it taken care of but when there is a codeshare it becomes very problematic!!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France Airlines

That is one problem when you have a code shared flight. Book with Delta for an AF flight you will not have access to select seats and vice versa. I prefer to book directly with that particular airline to avoid this.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France Airlines

Never had the problem with Delta, NW or KLM. Air France has flight times I like but I'm not sure if I want to take the chance of getting my seat bumped again. Thanks all for the input.

Looks like you always take the chance of not getting reserved seating.

Edited: 2:30 pm, March 28, 2011