We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

Hi

Tonight I tried to book tickets on the IDTGV to Avignon from Paris and the IDTGV website would not let me finalise the booking.

I put in Australia and then France in as country of residence, to no avail.

The credit cards I tried to pay with (MC and VISA) were refused even though they are not maxed. Any thoughts or ideas of what went wrong?

The cost keeps jumping while I wait! GGGRRR.

Thanks for your help :)

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

Had a problem with my credit card as well on Wednesday--ended up costing me $60.00 because it reserved six seats for me at the lowest price, then when the credit card rejected the charge (thanks, fraud prevention), I was unable to go back into that reservation with a new card, and had to start all over, only they thought those six seats were reserved, so I paid an extra 6.90 euros per seat. So, before you try again, check with your credit card company and make sure that they will authorize the charge. It has to work when you click on it, or you're screwed.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

If you experience a credit card denial, wait 24 hours before making another attempt. There have been numerous reports on the forum of Australian credit cards being rejected by the SNCF.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

tomkey, are you Dick Cheney?? Geez, your avatar looks just like him. Thought maybe he'd gotten bored and joined TA...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

Thanks Tomkey and Sarastro.

I will wait 24 hours, and hope that ticket prices don't keep rising! I will also phone my cc companies about permssions.

(I was thinking of going through Rail Europe but the prices are almost tripled which is outrageous.)

:-)

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

No, I haven't shot anyone, but I do hear that a lot (not a big insult to me as I am a Republican). Funny, but when I went to Washington in 2003, I actually had someone tell me that I looked like Karl Rove, a much more obscure reference, but not surprising giving the locale (and the fact that Karl and I are much closer in age than I am to Dick).

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

If you are trying to book more than three months out you will have only the iDTGV trains to choose from. If you are still having difficulty after another attempt you might wan to wait until that three month window opens when you will have access to the entire timetable, including the much more frequent "ordinary" TGVs. PREM's fares on these start at €22.

Do heed tomkey's advice and make absolutely sure that your CC issuers ahve lifted any security block before you make another attempt. I think this issue causes a lot of problems.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

When my CC got blocked, I had called my CC provider and within minutes they had removed the block and I was able to get idTGV tickets. Others have not been so lucky. Good luck. BB

Edited: 11:57 am, March 11, 2011
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

I should have mentioned that you should book through www.tgv-europe.com if you do decide to wait until the full schedule is available.

@tomkey - Apparently the only person who thinks that being a Republican is grounds for a firing squad is the former Veep! ;-))

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

There have been reports of people who have emailed SNCF and have been told that foreign credit cards are not accepted for idTGV purchases.

I think you should wait until 3 months before travel and book an ordinary TGV. You will still get a pretty good price.

Edited: 6:19 pm, March 11, 2011
Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IDTGV won't let me book! Help!

It did take my foreign credit card the second time, and, apparently, the only reason the first transaction didn't go through was because that credit card company flagged it as a suspicious transaction. There may be a problem with Australian cards that I'm not familiar with, but IDTGV did accept my US credit card. Printing tickets was also easy (although the system wouldn't do it when I first purchased, but worked like a charm when I came back the next day, during normal business hours in France, and used the reservation number to get where I needed to print tickets).