We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris to london day trip

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Topic
paris to london day trip

is it possible to go to london just for the day from paris?

does anyone recommend we do this?

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from $108.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from $123.90*
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: paris to london day trip

Lots of people do it. If this is a first time trip to Paris I don't recommend it. Paris has so much to see and do that you are better off focusing on Paris. IMO

If you are going to London then you should take Eurostar from Gare Du Nord early in the morning and come back late in the evening. When you get to London I would advise the hop on hop off buses there. That is the best way to see the most sights in one day in London. You can get a cab from the train station to where the buses are.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris to london day trip

It is definitely possible, but recommended? Not really. I guess if you could catch an early train to London (arrive in the morning and head directly to what you plan to see first), and depart for the return trip quite late (I'm not sure what time the last Eurostar departs), then you'd be able to see some interesting things in London, but an overnight trip would be far preferable, obviously.

If you are traveling to Paris from California, you could consider purchasing a flight that arrives in Paris (or London), but departs for home from the other city. You would use the Eurostar (one-way) in between. This would be the ideal way to go, and you need not divide your time equally between both Paris and London, if it is Paris you want to spend more time in.

Plus, if you spent the night in London, you could perhaps see a play/musical on the West End--in that way, doing something in London that you couldn't do in Paris.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paris to london day trip

That is how we did it. We flew from LA to London. spent two nights in London and took Eurostar to Paris and spent 5 nights there. Flew home to Ca from Paris.

London is a great place but it just does not do it for me the way Paris does.

Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris to london day trip

I've done a day trip from Paris to London on the Eurostar with a teenager. It's a very long day. The teen amie was almost dopey with fatigue on the ride back to Paris. Honestly, I wouldn't do it again. There really isn't time to see enough to make the long day worthwhile. Plus, unless you'll be in Paris for longer than ten days, you'd be shortchanging Paris. There's just so much to see and do in Paris.

The long and short of it is, unless it's the only trip to Europe you're sure you'll ever take, and London is a MUST SEE, skip it and plan a trip to London to give it its full due.

Edited: 2:09 pm, February 14, 2011
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris to london day trip

It's a very doable and fun day trip as long as you realize you will only be able to see a very little of London. I would check with the good folk on the London forum for transportation options and help with planning your day. A small guidebook such as the Knopf CityGuide or DK Eyewitness Top Ten London would be very useful.

If you decide to go book your Eurostar tickets as early as possible, up to 120 days ahead, at www.eurostar.com

The least expensive RT fare is €88/£69 and fares increase steadily the closer you get to your travel date.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris to london day trip

The journey time of the Eurostar is 2 1/4 hours. In one important respect it is probably better to do a day trip from Paris to London than the opposite direction - because of the time difference, you will get to London only 1 1/4 hours on the clock later. This means that with a fairly early start, you will have quite a lot of the morning as well as the afternoon and however much of the evening as you choose. Whereas from London, by the time you arrive it is almost time for lunch.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris to london day trip

I have done it as well, but that was on my 3rd trip to Paris. And I had already been to London.

I would only recommend it if you have already been to Paris. When we went, we took the hop on, hop off buses, once it was over we went back to the places that we wanted to see more of. We even got to see the Queen leave the palace and then return to it.

It was a great one day trip.

Philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paris to london day trip

We took the eurostar very early in the morning and came back late at night one day last June. It was a very long day but we got to see many of the sights in London using the hop-on hop-off buses. I was glad that we were able to see some of London and it made me realize that there is something special about Paris. To me, London was just another big city with traffic and congestion. Although Paris also has a lot of traffic and congestion, it somehow has a magical feel about it!

9. Re: paris to london day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, February 22, 2012
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor