We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

I'll be taking Eurostar for the first time on an upcoming trip to London and Paris. I know we have to check in at least 30 minutes prior to departure, but I'm wondering if I need to plan for additional time, either at St. Pancras or upon arrival in Paris, to go thru immigration. I'm not trying to orchestrate split-second timing, just curious to know how this works. (And vice-versa, on the way back to London.)

I'm a US passport holder/US resident.

Thanks for any advice/perspective you can offer!

236 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,274 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

Yes. You go through both British and French Passport Control at St Pancras.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

Passports are rarely stamped in Europe these days since the electronic trace that you leave is sufficient.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,274 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

Things must have changed in the past 2 years: I was stamped in and out of Schengen on my last visit in 2012. I will see what happens when I land in Zurich after Easter.

There was a post only a few months ago from someone who struck problems exiting Schengen because there was no entry stamp in her passport.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

<When we leave London, is there any stamp that we get out of London>

No.

<stamp entries into Schengen>

Yes.

<I'm afraid that this would be the problem when I get out from schengen in Germany>

There will be no problem.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

<You go through both British and French Passport Control at St Pancras>

There is no routine UK passport control on people leaving the UK, at St Pancras or anywhere else. The only passport control at St Pancras is by French border police (entry to the Schengen Area).

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

<Passports are rarely stamped in Europe these days since the electronic trace that you leave is sufficient>

No. Passports of non-EU nationals are stamped on entry to and exit from the Schengen Area. Passports of EU nationals are not stamped anywhere within the EU, even in countries which are not in the Schengen Area. EU nationals can, of course, also travel within the EU on a national identity card which, by its nature, cannot be stamped.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

<Things must have changed in the past 2 years>

Not as far as I am aware.

<I will see what happens when I land in Zurich after Easter>

I am pretty sure you will receive a stamp.

<There was a post only a few months ago from someone who struck problems exiting Schengen because there was no entry stamp in her passport>

Exactly. The whole system depends on entry and exit stamps being put into passports when travellers enter or leave the Schengen Area. Apart from anything else, it allows passport holders themselves to keep track of how many days they have spent in the Schengen Area.

Anyone whose grasp of mathematics is a bit shaky may be interested in this http://tinyurl.com/oau7oe7

Mesa, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
88. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

Thank you for your info. This helps a lot.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

I use my American passport sometimes, and it was stamped in France at CDG a grand total of one time in 10 years.

2 posts
Save Reply
90. Re: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?

My employers are planning to take me with them on their holiday in UK, and from London they plan to go to Paris by train, what requirements do we need to take the train to get to Paris? My madam is Uk citizen and my sir is Cypriot, I'm holding a Philippine passport.

Reply to: Passport control when taking Eurostar London to/from Paris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted