We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a little french?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
a little french?

I am a little paniced. I am leaving in a week and was hoping to learn a few key french words, but have failed to do so. Can someone please help me with some key phrases or advice where to turn? Is the alphabet similar? Thanks

ASPIC
$$$$, French, European, Contemporary
Epicure
$$$$, French, European
Le Vent d'Armor
$$ - $$$, French, Seafood, European
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: a little french?

Try this web site, click on the words and the sounds will play:

http://www.france-pub.com/french/index2.html

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: a little french?

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you I will try it

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: a little french?

Since it is a bit late to learn much French the following simple list is basic and will be of great help to you when greeting the French if you have them ready to use......Most of which you already know. Mix them up, use them all the time and you will do ok. Use polite terms when addressing anyone, always saying "bon jour" first. Add a polite word or two to everything you say. Many French know some English and some know a great deal, so you might well get an English answer. Always ASK first if they speak English though!

S'il vous plait..............................please

bon jour.....................................Hello...good mourning, afternoon

bon soir................. ................... hello in evening

merci....................................... thank you

au revoir................ ........... Good bye

merci, au revoir.................. Thank you and good bye

pardon, excusez moi...................excuse me....pardon me

desole........................................Sorry

(Desole) jen parle pas francais.... (Sorry) I do not speak French.

(Pardon) parlez-vous anglais?... (Excuse me) do you speak English?

If you know these well, you'll be fine.................Bea

USA
Level Contributor
29,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a little french?

Take yourself down to your local Border's or B&N bookstore tommorrow and go to the Foreign Languages stacks and pick up a copy of the Barron's FRENCH At A Glance tape/CD and phrasebook and play the tape/CD in your car and at home as you go about your business.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a little french?

Don't panic. I just got back 2 days a go and everybody spoke English, even in the tiniest shops. Just be respectful, use the basic polite terms and you'll be fine. Bon voyage!

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: a little french?

thank you everyone for all the info, I appreciate it

NEW YORK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: a little french?

a book that really helped me out was harper collins language survival guide france, its 10 american dollars and it helps you pronounce some key words correctly, i spoke it so well people thought i was fluent!! after i didnt understand them, i asked if they spoke english and if they didnt we mostly gestured and pointed hahaha, youll be fine, just make sure you know your metro directions before asking becuase most people are in a rush, also, youll be surprised by the amount of american travellers there so there is always someone to ask in english if you really need help. also, almsot every store on the champs elysees has an english speaking staff and youll be fine at all of the tourist attractions.