We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Metro card

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Metro card

I'm thinking of buying a Paris Metro card. They are sold for 3 or 6 zones. What should I buy? What does the 6 zone entail? Is this a good deal? We are going to be in Paris for five days with one day going to Normandy. I thought I would get the card for three or four days.

Thank you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Metro card

I am not familiar with the Paris ¨Metro¨ card. You might be referring to a Paris Visite pass.

Most of central Paris is covered by zones 1 and 2. CDG, Disney, or Versailles are in zone 5. Generally the Paris Visite option is not cost effective but it really depends upon where and how often you want to travel.

The transportation network in and around Paris is excellent. Finding a simple ticketing option which easily meets one´s needs is not easy. Factors such as days of the week you will be in Paris, where you are going, and how often you will travel must all be considered when suggesting the most appropriate solutions.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Metro card

I wouldn't recommend buying any transportation pass before you arrive in Paris. You will probably be charged a hefty mark-up plus in all likelihood a shipping fee. All the available transportation passes and tickets are very easy to buy after you arrive. The PV pass, which is probably what is being sold here is rarely a good option in any case.

FYI the RT fares by métro and RER between Paris and the places Sarastro mentions are: CDG €17.40; Disneyland €13.40; Versailles (in Zone 4 not Zone 5) €6.20.

A carnet of 10 tickets each good for one trip including transfers on the entire métro system including the few stations outside Paris in Zone 3, virtually the entire bus system and the RER system WITHIN Paris, costs €12. For most vistors this is the least expensive option along with individual tickets for trips to Versailles and the like.

Obviously your trip to Normandy which is a very large region of France and a long way from Paris at its closest point would not be covered by any Paris transport pass. What part of Normandy are you planning to visit? What are you planning to do in Normandy? How are you planning to travel there? We may be able to help with time and/or money-saving suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Metro card

I'm also not clear on what a "Paris Metro card" is.

Do you mean the Paris Visite Pass? Or the Navigo Decouverte?

The Navigo Decouverte is only good for one full week, not 3-4 days so I am guessing that you mean the Paris Visite Pass, but I didn't think there was a 4-day pass. But you would need to give more details about your plans to determine whether it's a good deal for you.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Metro card

Thank you all. I meant the Paris Visite card and it seems we'll be better off buying the carnet of 10 tickets once we get to Paris. I know we'll be doing a lot of walking so I'll be wasting my money with the Visite card. I was curious about the zones.

We are taking the train from Paris to Caen and meeting a tour guide there for Normandy tour. It'll be for one day. I know we'll have to buy a separate ticket for this trip as well as trip to Fountanbleu (spelling). Thank you for all the good advise.

pili

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Metro card

the carnet covers all of Paris -- so it is the right choice for you if you hope to walk a lot -- and that IS the best way to really experience the beauty of Paris.

zones 3-6 are outside Paris and you can get single tickets as needed

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Metro card

I would second IrishRovr's advice, which it appears you have taken. In many cities, an all-day or all-week transit pass is a good deal for tourists, but not in Paris.

My wife and I just returned from a vacation that included a week in Paris. If we had bought Paris Visite cards, it would have cost at least €120, plus delivery charges and whatever other overhead the vendors charge, for 7 days' worth for both of us. We instead bought carnets as needed and used up 6 of them during our stay, for a total of €72.

The situation for museums is a bit more complex, but again buying as you go is probably going be better and certainly will be cheaper. The advantage to having a pass or a prepaid ticket is that you will avoid standing in line, if there is a line. But with a pass you will pay quite a premium for that convenience, especially assuming you are sane and try to visit no more than two museums and a couple of other cultural sites in a day! We stood in line at only two places: Cathedrale Ste Chapelle and the Jacquemart-Andre museum. We also had bought one museum ticket in advance, online. It's a better deal when you deal directly with the museum's Web site rather than buy a package pass, but your problem is then that you're locked into a particular schedule.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Metro card

<<We instead bought carnets as needed and used up 6 of them during our stay, for a total of €72.>>

Had you purchased Navigo Découverte cards (and the 7 day period fit within the parameters) you would have spent half as much as you did buying 6 carnets which is why it is very important to ask your transportation question to include as much detail as possible.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Metro card

Yes. The problem with Navigo is that it's tied to the calendar week. So it is best for residents or longer-term visitors, and doesn't work so well for tourists like us whose visit did not conform to its calendar.

In any case, it is difficult to make a case for the Paris Visite card unless you plan to do manic hopping around from one side of Paris to the other day after day. Paris is small enough that it's usually easy to schedule your sightseeing in one area each day. So you don't need to use unlimited bus/metro rides to get around each day.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Metro card

There are passes that work well for some people, though the Paris Visite pass is generally not a good option. Even there a few people have plans which make it a good choice.

Here is a somewhat exhaustive discussion of the various transport and museum pass options: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3012/Paris:F…

10. Re: Paris Metro card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 15, 2012