We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to the Louvre

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets to the Louvre

I'm in the UK - is the best way for me to buy advance tickets to the Louvre museum via the official website? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $102.90*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

You really do not need advance tickets to Musee du Louvre. There are so many entrances now. Lines you see at the Pyramid entrance are for security, not ticket purchase. Once inside, there are plenty of automatic ticket machines.

Most report no lines at the Carousel entrances. And, I've never seen a line at the Porte des Lions entrance. If you use this entrance at opening time, you'll get to Mona Lisa (which is right up the stairs and down a couple of rooms) ahead of those who used the other entrances.

But, if you want advance tickets, you can go to FNAC once in Paris, then use the Passage Richelieu entrance which is for advance ticket holders only.

las vegas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

Our hotel in Paris sold advanced tickets at their front desk. There was a small fee but worth it to not have to wait in line for one.

Edited: 5:33 pm, October 23, 2010
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,032 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

I have been to the Louvre at least 8 or 9 times now,, always in summer season(busy season) and have never had to wait to buy tickets in line,,, no way would I pay an extra fee for an admission. I would use my feet and find the entrance to the Carousel Shopping Mall, ( it is on Rue Du Rivoli) , walk down the stairs, buy ticket at machine, and walk in,, like I do every time,, longest wait has been about ten minutes, and that was to get through security, and no pass or ticket lets you skip that line.

las vegas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

I did not know there were machines you could purchase tickets from, there was not one at the Porte des Lions entrance (that we could find, we couldn't find an employee either). Next time we will do the Carousel Entrance and get tickets there. Thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

under the pyramid there are many machines -- some take cash -- some cards -- and they do work with American cards if you leave the card in -- there are also many manned ticket booths

in 20 or so visits we have waited to buy tickets a significant time only once

if you have a pass or ticket you can in fact shortcut the security line -- at the Carrousel there is a line to the right and left for security (sometimes they merge ) the one on the right is for pass holders -- we have a membership and used it many times to cut the already short security line even shorter

at the pyramid, you can also enter with a pass to the left of the main line -- there is usually someone there at the ropes to let you in (or so we found out when trying this once this summer -- we rarely attempt the pyramid entrance but usually use the Carrousel)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

Hi,

get through the Caroussel du Louvre entrance, down the stairs and you'll see in front of you a row of machines to purchase tickets. Then go down again (just follow the signs), get past the security and you arrive under the pyramid.

Street view link to give you an idea of what the Caroussel du Louvre entrance looks like:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=caroussel+du+louvre,+paris&hl=fr&cd=1&ei=HaLETPGZA53KjAfTiPG0Bg&sig2=-STQ18LfC8hoeX2r3vNDRw&sll=48.859005,2.347896&sspn=0.00923,0.032374&ie=UTF8&view=map&cid=17743268271917156871&ved=0CBwQpQY&hq=caroussel+du+louvre,+paris&hnear=&ll=48.862802,2.335013&spn=0.004729,0.011072&z=17&layer=c&cbll=48.86284,2.334899&panoid=-g5GBW2_vVzNM-yN8N_iog&cbp=12,201.79,,0,-6.42

(cut and paste)

Edited: 5:20 pm, October 24, 2010
7. Re: Tickets to the Louvre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 23, 2011