We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

Hi, We will be a family of 6 with 2 young kids and 2 old ones =) We found a 1 BR in the 5th near the river, but now we may be taking my parents along on the trip -- so we need a 2 bedroom.

I wanted to stay in the 5th or 6th near the River so we can walk to most of the attractions. I heard it is no fun lugging strollers onto the metro? Is this true...? Would Montemartre be too hard with 2 small strollers? The 2 bedrooms are so much more affordable out that way, that in St. Germain or Latin Quarter. Advice appreciated!! This will be our first international trip as a family, so we are not super well-traveled.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $104.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,604 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

Montmartre would be a bad choice with strollers, small kids, elderly parents -- for a first trip -- it is on the edge of town and thus a commute to everything AND it is very steep and hilly -- so no fun with strollers or for many older people.

It might be a good choice for a later trip.

The metro is not appropriate for strollers -- you have to lug them up and down stairs -- with strollers, you are better off taking the bus which has a space for strollers and wheelchairs and is designed for easy of access -- obviously during rush hour that is not all that easy though.

The best location IMHO would be the 5th -- not far from the Luxembourg Gardens -- and you would want to plan to walk a lot -- 5th or 6th near the river is good too

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

We just got back from staying in VRBO 15502, which is in the Marais, on the other side of the Seine. We were half a block from Place des Voges and across the street from a wonderful bakery for those croissants and pain au chocolat in the morning.

The apartment has 2 very large bedrooms and a foldout couch in the living room. There was even a fold out crib tucked away in the corner in you need it.

There's a separate washer and dryer which would be very convenient for doing laundry for 6 people. There's also a bathtub which could come in handy with small kids (lots of apartments only have a stand up shower due to space limitations)

David was very easy to deal with and the apartment had everything we needed. We love the Marais and you are very close to 2 great bus lines, the 96 and the 69.

JO

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

My family and I (2 kids, Grandparents etc) just stayed in the 7th, near the champs de mars, a couple of playgrounds there, lot of little kids. Also, check out the Jardin D'Acclimation in the bois de bologne, lots of fun for kids and a great diversion after too many museums. Many other areas are equally suitable, especially if you are near a great park. Have fun!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

The 7th is my favorite neighborhood for sleeping, especially if you are a family with young and old. The bus routes are very convenient, and much more convenient for strollers and grandparents.

If you find an apartment in Montmartre located near a) Bus 80 (which has good connections to all over) and b) food shopping, you would be fine, if a bit farther from the center and the most popular places to visit. I wouldn't be too concerned about extra travel time every day, as the neighborhood is very nice, and the scenery from the buses is very nice. You do have to keep in mind that Montmartre is a very steep hill in some areas, but generally not those around bus route 80 and you can use Montrobus for avoiding steep climbs.

But, do have a look at the apartments offered by Vacation in Paris in the 5th and 6th (and 7th) that would accommodate your family. Though, if I understand correctly, there will be 8 of you total? So, you may want to consider the two in the same building which accommodate 8 people

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_56.htm

And, they have another in the Marais that accommodates 8, along with other possibilities of side by side or in the same building pairs.

You should NOT try to book an apartment which sleeps 6 for 8 people. There are often penalties for exceeding the maximum number of people allowed, or you could be refused check-in (as there are laws regarding maximum occupancy according to space).

It may be much better to increase your budget a bit, rather than book an apartment that does not meet as many requirements for the savings. And, if some of the beds are foldout/trundle, beware that they may consume all the floor space and provide no privacy.

Keep in mind that you'll save considerably on beverages and meals by staying in an apartment. And, if it has a washer/dryer, you'll be able to pack far less to haul around.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

That would be Montmartrobus...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,604 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

I strongly disagree with the idea that given the great transportation available in Paris that distance doesn't matter. I love Montmartre - have stayed there several times -- but on a first trip with a desire to see the classic tourist sites, it adds energy sapping logistics into the trip

Small kids and some elderly have limited energy (and adults having to wrangle everyone may find that stressful and energy sapping as well) -- use it up by having to commute everywhere and you are at a disadvantage -- and when the apartment is on the outskirts, it is also not convenient for a nap or dropping packages or changing clothes with the weather --

One great thing about Paris is that there are parks with playgrounds for small kids everywhere -- there are some spectacular ones like the Luxembourg Gardens and Tuilleries but every few blocks there will be tiny squares and parks with toddler toys (there are even children's playground toys on the grounds of Notre Dame on the side and in the gardens at the back) -- so wherever you decide to stay there will be places for kids to play

if the adults want to visit the major tourist sites, you should aim for a place where some of those are in walking range (thus the recs for the Marais, Latin Quarter, and St. Germain des Prez areas -- in terms of neighborhoods that are pleasant -- those are all over Paris

Paris also has many options for take out prepared foods that are lovely -- and butcher shops have truly wonderful things that you can just pop in the oven e.g. this summer we roasted pork rolled roasts stuffed with figs, apricots etc -- easy and really good -- with young kids -- being able to eat in is cost effective, convenient and can be very tasty. I always buy pastries for dinner when getting the breakfast bread each morning -- even if we go out for dinner, we usually have dessert at home

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

And ..... make sure that apartment has a lift. Not all have one.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

Let me underscore the above point on the lift. In both of my two most recent visits to Paris, the answer was "yes" as whether they had an elevator. What wasn't mentioned was that in both cases the unit was the size of a vertical coffin -- hardly suitable for strollers, and even difficult for two people, unless they know each other quite well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,604 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

apartment elevators will rarely handle a stroller. locals usually leave the stroller tucked away in the hallway behind the elevator or whatever -- almost certainly you will have to fold the stroller to take it up in the elevator

and if the apartment does not mention an elevator you can assume it doesn't have one (and if it has one, it may well break down and take several days to fix) so it is worth thinking about booking a place on the first or second floors rather than the 5th or 6th

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which arrond. for family of 6? (ages 2, 5 + grandparents)

Thanks everyone for your input. I really read all of your posts and appreciate your time so much =)

Is Montmartre the same thing as the base of Sacre Coeur? That is where the apartment is. I might have caused some confusion -- we will have 6 people total (us, 2 kids and 2 grandparents).