We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris at christmas

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris at christmas

hello Ta friends.

Me, my doughter18, and my mother are thinking of going to Paris between dec. 26 - dec. 30.

We would like to stay central, but dont have to be in the middle of everything. Would like to have some budget restaurants close by. We dont need a fancy hotel, but would like a safe area, and not too expensive. Any suggestions?

We like to see the common sites, and do some shopping.

Thank you.

Gausdal.

Kendal
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris at christmas

the 4th or 5th area are very safe, excellent location and lots of things around such as shops, cafes etc. It is about 10 mins walk from notre dame and other sites. You could stay in an apartment as that would be cheaper (homeaway website) or hotel gay lussac.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris at christmas

All of the arrondissements are safe, and the areas away from the tourist center are even safer, since they do not attract purse snatchers, pickpockets and scam artists like the center.

Therefore, you may choose between an excellent location at a higher price with relative safety, or very economical and good hotels with good safety but which require a 10-15 minute metro ride to the center.

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris at christmas

Hi

Thank you so much for answering me. Do any of you have any suggestion on hotels?Or any street name where we could stay, hotel or apartment.

This is our first time to Paris.

And what is the temperature usually like at that time?

Thanks!!

Gausdal.

Kendal
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris at christmas

Hotel gay lussac is nice its not fancy but does the job with clean beds and rooms. It's about 10 - 15 mins from notre dame and very near the Luxembourg garden. I've never been in December but I hear its around 5 degrees c.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris at christmas

As always when asking for hotel suggestions it is very helpful and will elicit many more answers if you can tell us what your actual budget is, preferably in €uros. Will you be looking for a triple room or a double/twin and a single, or...?

Most apartments are rented by the week, generally from Saturday to Saturday.. There are some places that will rent for a shorter period but not many. An apartment hotel such as one of the Citadines locations might work for you or you could try the Cosy's AppartHotel on rue Cadet in the Opéra/Grands Boulevards area of the 9th arrondissement. I have attached a link to the reviews on this site which are generally very positive. The area is an excellent one especially if you intend to do some shopping..

http://www.cosys-residences.com/fr/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d116733…

boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris at christmas

I have been to Paris many times over the Christmas holidays..the weather can be variable, but usually similar to Boston/New York at that time, i.e. cold (but little chance for snow/ice), some days can get to 50.

The city is beautiful at that time - lights everywhere, carousels in each square for children..very festive. it is also not so crowded with tourists and the pace is slower. Staying in the 4th (Marais), 5th or 6th are very central, lively and you should be able to walk everywhere. I don't know hotels as I usually rent an apartment...it gives you a much better sense of the city, allows you to shop the markets for food and relax more in general...

have used parisaddress.com for apartments in the past (and for this Xmas time too).

enjoy

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris at christmas

In a very good area, central but not on a busy street, is the Select Hotel Rive Gauche. They have triple rooms if that's what you are after (other possibility would be to have a double and a single, but since singles cost about the same as a double, you'd be better off with a triple.) Have a look at their site if this is for you:

http://paris-hotel-select.com

The Hotel Lindbergh is somewhat cheaper and they also have triples:

http://paris-hotel-lindbergh.com/

You can find restaurants in all price range in these areas.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris at christmas

I have rented an apt before and I am looking to do so again from Vacation in Paris

www.vacationinparis.com/toc_parisrentals.htm

there are minimum stays but no sat to sat requirment

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris at christmas

Seasonal weaterh averages for Paris

wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp…

43/34 deg F for Dec

6/1 Deg C

10. Re: Paris at christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 24, 2010