We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

San Diego
1 post
Save Topic
Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

My family and I just returned from a European vacation that included Paris, and while there are always some problems that pose challenges in the course of a longer trip (just like in non-travel life!), this one seemed worth posting to this forum: Paris Museum Passes bought online through FINAC (a large ticket company mentioned in other forum postings) may not be honored by museums in Paris. It seems that FINAC at some point found out that passes that they had sold this year were set to expire on June 30, 2010, but did nothing to notify the consumers that had purchased them (there is nothing on the pass itself that says this, other than the number 20 on the cover with 1998 -2008 under it - the FINAC order confirmation actually says that they are good through December 31, 2010). What started as a manager at the Musuem D'Orsay explaining that our museum passes were invalid, led to correspondence with FINAC in which they admitted that they knew of this situation, but had done nothing to rectify it. I am now in the process of trying to get a refund for the passes (2), let alone the admission fees we had to pay because the passes were not honored. Has anyone else who used passes in Paris after June 30th experienced this?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
123 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

i'm sorry to hear your bad experience.

What is FINAC anyway ? i couldnt find any link about this.

If you meant "Fnac" (the most important cultural and HiFi products store in France), i know they have a large client service support that could help you out. Moreover, to buy some Pass Museum, people should get it from the official website of the main museums or some huge megastores like Fnac

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Claremont...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

Would like to hear more about this, as I am looking to purchase passes later today or toomorrow for our trip. I am using this site.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

And I do see they are affliated with FNAC. So is the same company that you had a problem with?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

The passes are available at the airport, and there are at least two locations at CDG. There is no processing fee or shipping fee. We picked ours up with absolutely no wait.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
123 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

hello missty,

your site looks very official and trustful.

Being affiliated with the Fnac is a good thing as Fnac is one of the largest seller for cultural events, i presume you can book your pass on the official site, then get it physically in any Fnac store.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

I would think twice about getting your Museum Pass before your trip. They are easily purchased once you get to Paris. On my first trip, I did purchase them ahead of time. On later trips, I have just purchase them either at CDG or at one of the smaller museums that honors the pass. One place that never seems to have a line is Le Concierrge. Took less than a minute to purchase it.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roissy-en-France, France
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

I'm with nancyleemo. Museum Passes are quite easy to purchase once you are in Paris. Check out the MP website at http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Buy the pass at one of the smaller museums ... and there are a lot of other locations also.

No need to pay shipping or risk a situation as the one with FNAC.

Hope you get things resolved.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

That is the correct official Paris Museum Pass website (www.parismuseumpass.com). They allow you to prepurchase the passes but the service charge to have them sent to you is crazy high.

Much better to just buy them in Paris either at CDG or at any of the museums. FNAC stores also sell them - but are perhaps not so reliable!

I think what happened is that every few years the prices change and/or they update the passes and the FNAC store in question had old passes - they shouldn't have sold them.

Buy onsite at CDG or a museum.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

I don't understand the obsession with buying such simple things ahead of time. Not only are you paying more for them, but plans can change, legs can be broken, and then what do you do?

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

Yes - with a broken leg (or ankle in my wife's case) and a wheelchair both the victim and pusher get in free at the museums so you don't need a museum pass!

Claremont...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Museum Pass problem with Finac - be warned!

I guess my orginal thinking was to get it now, and not have to worry about a line for the first museum to get it. Or mess with getting it at the airport, with luggage in tow, etc. But sounds like it is no big deal.