We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper French Sim Card

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper French Sim Card

After a lot of research on French Sim Cards I have discovered Lebara arrived in France in May.

I use Lebara in Australia as it has great rates local and overseas.

There website is www.lebara-mobile.fr

Landlines and other mobile in France: 0.15 € per min

Australia 0.29 € per min mobile. Landline 0.09 € per min

UK 0.29 € per min mobile. Landline 0.09 € per min

USA Mobile and Landline 0.09 € per min

National SMS: € 0.10 per message.

Hope this help in your search for a great rate on French sim card.

SIM card with € 7.50 credit Included for € 10

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Lebara and Ortel have both arrived in Paris like gangbusters -- all of the little telephone places in my neighborhood have been 'redecorated' by one or the other.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

SydneyOysters,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately for me, your message came about 5 days too late!!

Are incoming calls free - the same as the other networks?

As soon as I read your post and was aware of the name - there they were, all around me - places selling Lebara - There was a place right across the street from our apartment.

The day I arrived in Paris - Aug 5, I went to a PhoneHouse to get a SIM for my unlocked Virgin Phone. The clerk seemed to want to steer me to Orange or SFR. Every time I mentioned Virgin she'd say yes they had that too and go back to the others. Anyway _ I got an Orange SIM for 15 euros and basically one local call sucked up almost all the time. The Lebara rates are about a third of what the other companies are. And the International rates are amazing.

I actually went to an SFR shop first - and they told me the cheapest SIM was 30 Euro - which was strange since Phone House had SFRs for 15....

raquel

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Hi Raquel

Yes incomeing calls are free.

I have used Lebara her in OZ for the last two years because there rates beat anyone else.

They use Vodaphone lines here and I belive they use SFR in France so coverage should be good.

I did post this on the 9th August but for some reason tripadvisor removed it.

I sent them email to see why now it they have put it back on.

So glad it has been of help to you.

I have spent hours looking for a cheap sim card as we are away for a while.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

thanks again Sydney Oysters,

This is why I love Tripadvisor. So much sharing. You can get current info and reap the benefits of others' research.

Though as I said it was days late for me - but I know for next time - but hopefully others will benefit since this topic comes up alot.

raquel

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Bookmarked for the next trip. Thanks for posting this.

Sydney
Level Contributor
193 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Will they send these to OZ or do you have to wait until you get to France.

Reason I ask is it's for my daughter(15) on a school trip, they land at CDG and head imediately off for the country. Also not sure how easily she will have internet access. Would just be easier to have bought and activated before she arrives, we would also have the number in advance.

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Would Lebara be the best choice for an American student, doing a year abroad in France?

His U.S. TMobile phone has been unlocked and is ready to receive a French SIM card. We're looking for an economical way for him to call both us back home (on both our home landline and our cells) and new friends within France.

Merci.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Would Lebara be the best choice for an American student, doing a year abroad in France?

His U.S. TMobile phone has been unlocked and is ready to receive a French SIM card. We're looking for an economical way for him to call both us back home (on both our home landline and our cells) and new friends within France.

Merci.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Students usually have laptops and those with laptops can use VoIP calling for pennies a minute (or less).

There are also 5€ calling cards which allow him to call you for just a few cents per minute.

His having a phone, no matter what the company it´s with, allows you to call him anytime. Regardless of the French plan he has, all of his inbound minutes are free.

None the less, I have read through the Lebara website and what they are proposing is very impressive. Communications in France just got a great deal cheaper.

Edited: 12:04 pm, August 18, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheaper French Sim Card

Stupid question - do they sell prepaid phones or only sim cards?

I have a company paid Blackberry that I will be checking regularly in Paris(since my assistant was downsized I have no decent coverage in the office), but I also want a phone for personal use. I dont want to keep swapping the sim card out of my Blackberry (if I can even do that - I'm ignorant of these matters!)