We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which car to rent

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which car to rent

We're family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids 15 and 9 y.o.) planning to rent car in France. I did quick search and was thinkin about renting Renault Scenic or Citroen Grand Picasso .

Which one you think is better for us? The major concern - luggage (we'll have 2 id and 2 medium suitcases).

What is Japanese/American analog of those cars (I mean strictly storage space).?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $103.40*
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which car to rent

Where will you be driving in France? Autoroutes, D-roads?. Not a huge difference between those two cars. We've rented both and they're pretty decent choices.

If you plan on taking the departmental (2-lane) roads, make sure you rent the diesel variants of them. The fuel will be cheaper, the mileage will be better, and, especially on the D-roads, passing will be a lot less stressful.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which car to rent

We're planing to drive Paris-> Blois -> Caen -> Amiens-> brugge -> paris. Will be driving on both highways and local road (ordered book ack roads France).

Usually I rent through autoeurope.com (they're like 3rd party dealer that work wilth all companies), so I can ask to get diesel , ut they are not guarantee.

When rented last time in Frankfurt and asked for Diesel,-> got one.

From what i see:

1. Renault Scenic cheaper rent, easier to park, less fuel needed

2. Citroen Grand Picasso - should e more storage space (as back seats can e folded).

The problem that we don't have such models in canada and looking at pics it's dificult to understand if storage room will be enough for us.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which car to rent

IMO, the Citröen is the better of the two. It handles better and the diesel versions are the best of the French cars. The spread between diesel fuel (at 1.10€/L) and essence (gasoline at 1.39€/L) is pretty significant. The diesels have a lot more torque and you'll need that passing tractors and huge trucks on the D-roads.

Out here somewhere
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which car to rent

They are both very nearly the same size as a Mazda 5.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which car to rent

I don't think I've ever gotten the specific car I rented - typically the rental is for "Renault Scenic or similar" - I've always ended up with the "similar"!

Usually (if booking from a large location - ie airport) there is a selection of cars and you can view them and switch to another in the same class for the same price.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which car to rent

Seek cars with the suffix "CDI " or "TDI" for diesel cars. Otherwise, call the rental company's reservation number and specify diesel. It's worth the time and effort if you're going to rack-up some miles.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which car to rent

«I don't think I've ever gotten the specific car I rented - typically the rental is for "Renault Scenic or similar" - I've always ended up with the "similar"!»

This is the norm. In the case of the "Citroen Grand Picasso", there's a good chance you'll get a Peugeot equivalent. Not a big deal because they're the same cars made in the same factory. Same company.

I think Renault makes a lesser car in that class, JMO.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which car to rent

Thanks everyone for reply!

Actually I want to pick up car in the city as we will be taking car after we'll leave Paris , still don't know location, however, I'm planing to rent apartment in or close to district 6 and will be returning the car most likely in CDG.

I noticed that in France there are a lot of toll roads, do they accept credit cards? Are there any sticker that i can buy lets say for 2 weeks and then can use all toll roads?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which car to rent

Here's a handy site for checking specifics on European cars we aren't familiar with here in North America:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/

Many models have photos of the trunks/luggage areas etc.

We rented a Passat TDI wagon 2 years ago and it was brilliant... there is room for 4 and a cover to hid the baggage.

Yes, there are many tolls on French autoroutes. The tricky part about getting some kind of electronic pass is that they are run by different private companies so one pass won't necessarily work on another road.

Since you're Canadian, do you have a chipped credit card? If so it *should* work. To be safe, have sufficient

cash and used a manned booth until you try the card or hear from others. Mine only arrived last month so I didn't have it for our last driving trip in France.

Rob

10. Re: Which car to rent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:20 am, November 04, 2015