We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, July 20, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Please don't feed the bridge-substructure dwelling symbionts.

Pordenone
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Sadly the aggresive scam artists left a sour taste in my mouth when we visited Rome last winter, I do hope we can avoid this in Paris. Also we will be traveling with our daughter who will be 7 months and I fear for her safety. If I have to be quite vocal in telling them to stay away from my child, I will.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Why would you take your infant daughter to a place where you "fear for her safety?"

If you thought for even an instant that there was a chance she could be harmed, then perhaps leave her with grandparents or cancel your trip.

Pordenone
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

I've done much research and have determined that she will be quite "safe" with myself and my husband. Of course I would never intentionally put my child in danger. When I refered to her safety I was refering more towards verbal harassment rather than physical harm.

norway
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

I recently spent a couple of days in Paris, too. I did not encounter any of these scam-artists.

We visited both Arc de Triophe, Eiffel tower and Louvre and was not harassed by anyone. We were offered about a hundred tower-statues, but all the sellers accepted a polite No Thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Somehow all the scam artists are attracted to new posters.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Paris is no different than any other large city...there will always be people trying to take advantage of others. But there is porbably NO other large city where I feel as safe as I do while in Paris.

To make statements like "I fear for my child's" safety" only fuels other people's unrealistic fears. If you really feel that way, traveling is probably not the best idea for you.

Unfortunately, people who are new to travel will read things like that and alter their plans to experience the world.

Paris is a safe, lovely city. Go there aware, but ready to experience the GOOD!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

We have been back from 11 days in Paris/3 days in Reims for about a week now...

The "scam" we noticed most frequently were the gypsy ladies asking us if we spoke English...we just said no & that was the end of it.

The bracelet men in Montmartre were fairly aggressive for the 8 seconds we walked past them.

We had one guy attempt the gold ring scam walking through the Louvre. Or maybe he was actually picking up his gold ring...who knows? We didn't stick around to find out, and I was on high alert for this type of stuff after reading all of the TA posts.

The biggest concern I had: death by second hand smoke. Didn't France get the memo about smoking being hazardous to your health?? I was so surprised by all the chain smoking, and equally surprised by the cigarette butts littered everywhere! I think someone should start an "Adopt A Rue" program :)

Pordenone
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

Perhaps to say I fear for her safety is a poor choice of words, I thought my second reply would have cleared that up. We live in Italy and are well aware of our surroundings while we travel. I am looking forward to our trip as Paris has been a long time dream of mine.

US
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris pickpockets/scams - Summary

I don't know why people keep talking about scam in Paris , pickpocket in Rome . It sounds like it happens only in Paris and Rome . It happens everywhere in the world , esp. big cities . Just remember : pay attention to your surrounding , don't talk to strangers ..you wil be fine . I was scared after reading too many thread about scams , pickpockets . Turn out nothing bad at all . Rome is safe as well as Paris . Some guys around Eiffel tower wanted to put bracelett on my kids , we just said No firmly then kept walking and they didn't follow us . We used metro all the times and all the family members just looked after each others . I saw nothing happened to us or anybody else on the metro