We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists typical cab fares from one attraction to another, or train stop to another? I know about the different rates, A, B, and C. There are 3 of us traveling together, and I'm trying to decide on whether it is just as easy to uses taxis for transport. If this doesn't exist, if anyone knows from prior experience: Ecole miltare to Louvre, Ecole miltare to Picasso Museum. We expect to do alot of walking, plus two city buses will probobly come in handy. Thanks, Anita

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

>>>I'm just trying to figure out when to make use of taxi's<<<

That's easy...when your legs are too tired to carry you another step. Until that time, keep walking.

If you're not inclined to use the Metro (though I can't really imagine why...unless you or someone in your party has personal mobility issues) then the taxi is a practical alternative.

It's also worth noting that while the Paris bus system does indeed make a great platform to see the city as you go, it may not be the most efficient means of getting around the city unless you are familiar with the routes. As an example (an unlike the Metro) a bus route which heads in one direction along a one-way street may not return along that same street and use bus stops in entirely different locations for the return portion of a journey along its route. In addition to this, even though several different bus routes may run along the same street for a time, not all buses stop at all stops.

The various Bus map-books are excellent for locating bus lignes that may run near to wherever you are and the moment and where the specific stops are for that route in that immediate area...but because these maps must be segmented to fit the compact size of the book's pages, they are sometimes difficult to use to get a '..sense..' our the different areas of the city served by these routes.

For this reason, one of the best public transportation '..tools..' you can have at your disposal in Paris is the FREE '..#2--PARIS--Grand Plan--Lignes et Rues..' Metro/RER/Bus maps available at most Metro ticket kiosks. This is a large-format, folding map (think Texaco road map) which details a numbered, color-coded diagram of the entire Paris Metro/RER system, overlaid on a serviceable Paris street map on one side and a similar number, color-coded, direction-indicated, w/approx stop locations for the entire Paris public bus system, overlaid on the same serviceable Paris street map on the other. It's an INVALUABLE '..tool..'.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,173 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

The problem with guessing taxi fares is the unpredictability of Paris streets. Last week I taxied from Sevres Babylone to Ecole Militaire, it was 10 euros there, but only 7 back... we got stuck behind a truck that was unloading. Local markets, protests and garbage trucks all wreck havoc on the best laid plans.

nyc
8 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

the distance from ecole militaire to the louvre is very walkable...a fifteen or twenty minute walk to digest your morning croissant...for all other routes and information about trips go to mappy.com...you'll find info about walking and using the metro...going by metro is very easy and fun and cheap...just be sure to plot your route before you go...the signs are very clear...you can buy a carnet (10 trips) and save time and money...we haven't gone anywhere by

taxi in paris in many years...

joan b.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

all the above very good advice...I usually walk...I think EM to Louvre in 20 minutes is good fast walking...I must like to stroll...The scenery is really pretty between the two...

Watch out for the pickpockets on the metro if you go that route...Good to know that taxi's are there and not too expensive in central Paris...

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,173 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

It is 3km from the EM to the Louvre, and Mappy est. 50 minutes of walking time. This is a lovely walk if you are not then planning to actually go in and walk another 3km within the Louvre, in which case, you may want to conserve your energy and splurge on a cab or the metro.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: taxi fare, Ecole miltare to Louvre?

For Kidsail:

I don't have anything against the metro. I was just trying to figure out our transportation methods for the 6 full days we have in Paris: ala "Planes, Trains and automobiles" (LOL),,,Anita