We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Dallas
11 posts
Save Topic
luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Which do people find to be more secluded/romantic (for a proposal). Being that i have never been to paris i am trying to get an idea of a good place to propose and after having done the searches in the forum and read the threads i have decided that either notre dame or the gardens will be the place. It will be towards the end of December, so i realize it will be cold, but i think it will still be ok. between the gardens and the outside of notre dame, which will be more secluded and romantic? It looks like notre dame has various plots of land around it that might work, but the gardens seems more designed to have small off the beaten path spaces here and there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would especially appreciate any specific help regarding where in the gardens or at notre dame is the most secluded or least crowded and when. Thanks in advance.

Arboretum du bois de Vincennes
Gardens, Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Parc Kellermann
Gardens, Playgrounds, Parks
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

I agree, the little square on the back of Notre Dane is pretty protected and secluded.

Then you can go to dinner at la Tour d'Argent!

Mentioned in this post
Tour d'Argent
Tour d'Argent
1,477 Reviews
Paris, France
USA
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

One of the most romantic '..strolls..' in Paris is down along the Left Bank quais along the Seine, from the PONT de SULLY, at the eastern end of Ile Saint Louis under the bridges, past the south facade (illuminated at night) of Notre Dame to PONT des ARTS, between Institut de France and Musée du Louvre (also illuminate at night). This stroll made even Woddy Allen look like a '..romantic leading man..'. It might help you too.

Mentioned in this post
Ile Saint-Louis
Ile Saint-Louis
4,412 Reviews
Paris, France
Pont des Arts
Pont des Arts
1,545 Reviews
Paris, France
Institut de France
Institut de France
54 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel de Sully
Hotel de Sully
172 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel du Louvre
Hotel du Louvre
2,186 Reviews
Paris, France
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

I think one of the most romantic spots my wife and I encountered was at the very tip of Ile de la Cite, the Square du Vert-Galant, very secluded and very romantic.

This is on the other end from Notre Dame, just beyond and below Pont Neuf.

Mentioned in this post
Ile de la Cite
Ile de la Cite
4,956 Reviews
Paris, France
Square du Vert-Galant
Square du Vert-Galant
142 Reviews
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

I agree w/ livetotravel. ANother good spot is the very tip of the Ile St. Louis, looking at the back of the Notre Dame...

Pont des Arts is very nice, but it's hard to find a spot to yourself on the bridge, it usually has a lot of picnics, musicians, etc...

Les

Mentioned in this post
Pont des Arts
Pont des Arts
1,545 Reviews
Paris, France
Louis
Louis
128 Reviews
Paris, France
SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Neither Notre Dame or Luxembourg Garden.

Head for The Rodin Sculpture Garden !

Check it out.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Well, being that it is full blow winter during your proposed proposal, I would stay away from the gardens. I went there on July and it was stunning. However, my favorite place in Paris was on the steps of the Sacred Heart. You get a awesome view of the City of Paris.

Here is a website with some winter pictures that might help you out.

Notre Dame is amazing. I have a gizillion pictures of it, but, since I went during the summer, it was extremely crowed. Maybe you will have better luck in the winter. I will be there in the end of December also (27-31). Who knows, if I see anyone proposing to someone else I'll think it is you.... Take Care and Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
USA
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Another good spot might be on the steps of the Jardin de Trocadero, up from the Seine to the Palais de Chaillot at night. Do this with your back to the tower and your 'hoped-to-be-fiancée' facing the Eiffel Tower. Set your watch carefully and '..time..' you proposal to just before the hour (how much before will depend on your 'level-of-confidence' in an affirmative response). The Eiffel Tower goes off in a burst of '..twinkling lights..' lights, exactly on-the-hour, for ten(10) minutes (sorry no pyrotechnic accompaniment..you'll just have to make due).

Mentioned in this post
Trocadero
Trocadero
5,393 Reviews
Paris, France
Palais de Chaillot
Palais de Chaillot
340 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
118,210 Reviews
Paris, France
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

Sorry, this is the site.

http://flickr.com/photos/bip/sets/97389/

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,588 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

I'm with Randy, the most romantic garden in Paris is the Rodin, and it is pretty secluded, too. Imagine the Thinker with the gold topped dome of the Invalides looming overhead...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: luxembourg gardens or notre dame?

I'm thinking hard but for me there is nothing like THE most romantic spot in Paris, the entire city (if you don't live here) is.

I was just thinking about the narrow streets in Montmartre, just turn left at the end of place du Tertre instead of going to Sacre coeur.

To those mentionned I'd add le parc des buttes Chaumont is great too, the Parc Monceau has some great little secluded places, renting a barge for an hour or so in the bois de boulogne (a little kitch maybe and no idea if available in december). Place des Voges, not really secluded but great atmosphere, you'll feel almost like in the 16th century.

I'm sorry that wasn't the questions you were asking for, in the choices you have given I'd go for Notre Dame, take a walk from Pont des arts, pass notre dame and end up in the little square next to pont St Louis. Propose and go for dinner at la Tour d'argent as someone suggested (if you are willed to spend a little money on your proposal day).

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,493 Reviews
Paris, France
Place du Tertre
Place du Tertre
943 Reviews
Paris, France
Parc Monceau
Parc Monceau
860 Reviews