We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expensive soft drinks and water

Chihuahua, Mexico
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
expensive soft drinks and water

I just returned from Paris and one of the things that surprised me was the expensive price of bottled water and cokes at restaurants. I am always thirsty and spent several euros at restaurants for very tiny bottles of water. The soft drinks are also in small bottles, forget about refills like in american restaurants. You will enjoy everything else.but be prepare to spend if you are thirsty.

Branford, CT
Level Contributor
38 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

I paid 17 american dollars for a medium iced tea at a cafe near the Eiffel tower!

Chihuahua, Mexico
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

see what I mean? I should have carry a large bottle of water eveywhere but it was too heavy and cannot drink from it at restaurants.

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

We thought we were so smart - we grabbed some sandwiches for lunch and sat down in the adjoining bar area to eat them - spent about 12 euros total for the 4 of us. My husband and I ordered wine and the teenagers ordered a coke. The coke was more than the wine and more than the sandwich! Didn't think I was so smart anymore :).

If you are dying for a Coke, pick it in a bottle from a grocery type store. And for water - clarify you want tap water, not bottled and not with lemon both of which will have an extra charge.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,449 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

I drank tap water in restaurants, ask for a carafe d'eau. No restaurant that I went to charged for tap water. An unfortunatly the only way to get around the high cost of soda is to drink wine. It was a burden, but I managed. Truly, a glass of house wine was cheaper than soda, and a carafe or half bottle was even more economical. When in Paris ...

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,449 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

I should have added, my girlfriend has a coke (a cola) addiction that she satisfied buying bottles or cans in grocery stores for less than 1 euro.

Chihuahua, Mexico
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

I should have known earlier abour the carafe d'eau, thanks anyway.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

Having bottled water is much more a custom in France than I have observed in the USA, and the bottled water is usually fizzy which seems almost impossible to buy in the US. Properly chilled, a bottle of fizzy Badoit will supplement your bottle of wine. Enjoy it. And the price of your meal in Paris will be half or two thirds of that in London where I live, and usually better quality. Go to Paris and savour the food, wine and water.

Spain
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

nmhvineyard: the drinks are free -you pay only for the tour eiffel...

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: expensive soft drinks and water

To save money on bottled water I always ask for a carafe d' eau. Restaurants are entitled to give this to you upon request. The tap water is safe to drink in Paris; I always do this and have never had any stomach problems in the six visits yet.

It is a fact that soft drinks can be more expensive than house wine by the pitchet (carafe).