We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will airfares go down?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Will airfares go down?

We are looking at a trip from L.A. to Paris in May. Cheapest flights are about 1100. Anyone know the likelihood of those going down in a month or so? Don't want to wait too long to book. Thanks!

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will airfares go down?

I doubt it. I think those days are gone. With the gas prices and the lack of competition it is not likely. the airlines used to lower prices to fill seats. Now they just cancel flights.

Check Air Tahiti I think they are having a two for one sale now.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will airfares go down?

Last fall, I booked through 1800flyeurope and shaved off around $125 each ticket... They put us on Delta, then we got a conf.# from Delta and chose our seats, etc. Got FFmiles, too.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will airfares go down?

Orbitz has some flights from Swiss Air for $918 (they route through Zurich).

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will airfares go down?

There is just no way to predict.

I did wait quite a while (because I waited too long intitially) to book flights for last September, but if fares had gone up considerably, I would not have gone.

For many years, I've had terrific luck with www.1800flyeurope.com, saving a fortune! But, I had always booked 9-12 months in advance. By July for September, the savings were not nearly so much. I did end up saving about $100 versus booking the flights I wanted with Air France from Boston. But, when my brother booked flights from DC for the same dates, the Air France fare was lower than www.1800flyeurope.com But, I've usually observed that 1800FlyEurope has the best fares from the Northeast (probably because they are located in Maine).

Note that I studied the Air France calendar for many weeks before choosing my dates. You can watch prices fluctuate for various days of the week and weeks during a month. I also watched the airline websites (and signed up for e-mails). The current Air France "sale" is for travel through March 28 and must be booked by January 7. Typically, when one "sale" ends, another is started, but sometimes the dates are just extended. And, "sale" fares are always "as low as" and still fluctuate by destination and date.

Note also, that it's quite worth a bit extra to fly Air France which uses Terminal 2E at CDG for a variety of very good reasons.

Last year, there were some much more favorable fares with Aer Lingus and Lufthansa with convenient connections.

But, when the lowest fares LA to Paris are $8XX for January and February, that tells you something.

Have you tried Kayak? A lot of people traveling from LA to Paris rave about Air Tahiti Nui, but I think they fly only weekends.

All in all, you have to decide whether you want to risk having to pay more if you wait, versus booking now and paying a little more if fares happen to go down. There's just no knowing what will happen, especially if your dates are not flexible.

Your chances of a lower fare are far better if your dates are flexible, or if you determine to go only if you can find reasonable fares.

5. Re: Will airfares go down?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, July 05, 2010