We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

I am going to be going by train from Amsterdam > Paris. Tickets are significantly cheaper (on each leg) if purchased in advance. For example, a one way ticket from Amsterdam > Paris is $118. A round trip ticket purchased in advance is $41 each way. If anyone is going the opposite way, I would love to split a round trip ticket so you could use the Paris > Amsterdam leg and we can both save.

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

You can buy the cheaper 'round-trip' fare in advance and use only one part of it if you are only traveling one way. No one checks or knows that you did not return with the other part.

The reason the tickets are cheaper, by the way, is they are fully restricted -no exchanges, changes or refunds. The more expensive one-way tickets ARE exchangeable/refundable.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

Thanks - I appreciate the advice. I would definately purchase the round trip if necessary, but I would like to cut the price even more if someone can use the return trip.

If anyone is going from Paris to Amsterdam via train, let me know!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

Kmm,I dont know ifyou can share a ticket,dont they check for names,also when are you traveling.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

kmmccorm,

Can you please tell me where you purchased your tickets from? Was it through Thalys? I will also be taking the train from Paris to Amsterdam, but not until the end of June. I am ready to book but though it would be cheaper to just buy the tickets at Gare du Nord. But are you saying it's cheaper in advanced?

Thanks, and anyone else who could help would be appreciated!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

No, I've never had my identity checked on a train in Europe. except in the old days when some border guard flunkie came through the train to examine your passport when you crossed an international border.

I don't even think there is a name on the ticket.

Are reservations mandatory? If so, whoever is using the other half of said ticket will be restricted to whatever train it was booked for initially if no changes are permitted.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone going by train Paris > Amsterdam? Look here!

If the discounted round-trip tickets are for the Thalys

- your name is printed repeatedly all over the ticket sheet, like a background pattern, as well as in plain type (this is if the ticket is printed from your own computer/ printer)

- the conductors ALWAYS check your ticket but perhaps they don't always match it to your id