We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only have 7 days in Europe

cincinnati, ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Only have 7 days in Europe

Going to Madrid to meet my daughter while she is studying abroad. We have only 7 days and would like to venture outside of Spain. What would be a good 7 day trip to see lots of things without seeing too much? We're thinking the Alps..Lucerne? and maybe Paris?

We are newbies to international travel and have NO idea how to attack this. Any insights, information on tours or travel vendors to contact would be most helpful.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only have 7 days in Europe

You did not metion when ... ie. what time of the year..

Paris sounds like an option topping many people's priority list... you can still get to the Alps in France... minimizing travel time to too many countries in such a short duration... within France, Chamonix and Megeve would be interesting mountain resort destinations (could be 4 days in Paris & 3 at the moutains).

While in Spain, I would not discount a visit to Andalucia (Seville, Granada, Cordoba...). If you add Barcelona to that, you will not have time to get to a second European country.

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only have 7 days in Europe

Allowing for travel time, seven days is NOT a lot of time. Make up your '..wish list..' and do some research. Obviously, those who frequent this forum believe that Paris is special (and of course it most certainly is)....but you may well have your own ideas and priorities. If Switzerland and the Alps or Rome and the Amalfi Coast, or Venice and Florence, etc are high on your priorities list, then blow past Paris and devote your time to ONE of these other region. Paris will still be there and waiting to welcome you on your NEXT visit. Simply '..notching..' your passport with as many different places, in the least amount of time (ala "..If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium..") will not be rewarding---and probably not even enjoyable.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,173 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only have 7 days in Europe

Seven days will go by in a sneeze.

Personally, I'd recommend staying in Spain and discover Catalonia or the Basque region. The best food in Europe is in Catalonia these days and the countryside is simply breathtaking.

If you really want to take her some where new, I'd say you just have enuf time to visit Paris, but would save the rest for another time.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only have 7 days in Europe

Although I'm in tota agreement with phread, I would be seriously tempted to take the 13-hour hotel train from Madrid to Paris and fly home from Paris. It's a beautiful trip...

Spain’s fancy overnight Hotel Trains are Talgo Night. The Francisco de Goya is the Madrid-Paris train. Travelers with any railpass that covers at least one country on the route of travel can use a railpass travel day and pay sleeper fares ranging from $85 for a quad couchette to $235 for a posh Gran Class single compartment. Fast and direct, the trains make just a few stops. All doubles and singles include breakfast and your own toilet and washbasin. Gran Class adds dinner and a shower in your compartment.