We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Purchase at Paris

delhi
6 posts
Save Topic
Gift Purchase at Paris

I am visiting paris soon. I would like to buy a few small gifts which are not much costly for my friends back home. I would appreciate ideas and locations from where these can be bought. Thanks in advance.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

check out the stalls along the river near the Louvre-Notre Dame for old French postcards with Paris views - You can frame them inexpensively when you get home

jhg

delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

Thanks for the idea. However, I would also like to buy something which they can use. Thanks again.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,466 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

Then there is

http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/en/index.php for cooking utensils for the hobbyist. This is a great shop with a very helpful staff

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

May I suggest that you buy food : jam, chocolate, mustard, etc...all these are quite different in France than in other parts of the world. It is a personal opinion but seems that food is always a treat, whereas you often feel embarrassed with gifts you don't like...

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
183 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

In 2006, I picked up some wonderful little gifts at a store, l'Epicerie, on the Ile St-Louis. (It was near the ice cream shop Bhertillon, if I remember correctly.) Anyway, I brought back the cutest little bags of herbs (Herbes de Provence) and jars of oils with fruit in them. Everyone loved their gifts. And, they were very reasonably priced (like, under 10E). They have the store's label on them showing that they came from Paris, and they gave me bags to take home to put each one in when I presented them as gifts. I hope you have a lovely trip, and find the perfect somethings for your friends back home!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
832 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

I found any Monoprix to be very useful for foods, scarves, handbags. Almost anything reasonable can be had in a Monoprix.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

We like to bring back jars of "draft" mustards (freshly decanted into a ceramic jar sealed with a cork) from the Maille shop on Rue Royale for friends/family who enjoy good food. They also have nice vinegars, oils and such.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

Maille mustard shop across the street from the Madeline is a great way to go. I believe its one of two Maille shops in the world.....

9. Re: Gift Purchase at Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 07, 2010