We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

Padova, Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

Is better to buy tickets online? is there a line even for ticketholders?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $104.00*
Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

bugattiPD dont know when your going to Paris but my wife and i were there@the Louvre the begining of Sept. and walked right up to purchase our tickets and went right in no lines and not alot of people was around 11am,not sure about museum Orsay didn;t make it there....Jimmy...cost of tickets to Louvre was around 10 Euros each.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

Lines to buy tickets move pretty fast. It is security that tends to slow things down.

I do not buy tickets in advance unless there is a special exhibit that requires it. In that case I go to one of the FNACs in Paris and buy my ticket there.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

Hello.......Hubby and I went to the Louvre mid-afternoon on Thursday, Sept. 8. We had 5-day museum passes but really didn't need them in this case. Entered on the Rue de Rivoli side by way of the Carousel de Louvre entrance, went downstairs thru the underground shopping mall and right into the Louvre. Showed our pass at some point, of course, but there was no line. Did notice quite a few people up in the courtyard around the Pyramid though. I suppose those who aren't aware of the alternate entrances line up there.

At the Orsay (early afternoon Friday) we also used our passes (separate entrance for passholders). I think there was a short line to buy regular tickets.

Why no real lines? May have been the time of day, or the time of year....or maybe just luck. Anyway, glad we bought them, because we popped into a couple of places we might not have had we not had passes. They're also good should you need a nice, clean bathroom when you're out and about and don't see one anywhere.

Where you definitely need some kind of pass is at Versailles. There was quite a line when we arrived in the morning. We showed our passes at the passholders' entrance (no line at all) and went about our business. Half an hour later happened to glance out one of the chateau windows and saw the regular ticket line had stretched out and disappeared around the corner of the building!

St. Chapelle can also be bad re lines. We got there right after it opened and had no problem. Short line for Security check

(as there is everywhere).

Excuse me, think your question was: is it better to buy tickets online? Only if you want to dish out extra cash. We got ours the second day we were in Paris at the Archealogical Crypt right in front of Notre Dame. Hardly anyone down there but us. Quick and easy, plus we spent a fascinating 45 minutes in an often-overlooked place. They can also be bought in RER and metro stations.

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tickets for Louvre or Orsay in advance?

I agree with lovesChopin about the places that are busy - Versailles and St Chapelle were good places to have pre-puchased tickets.

We bought our Louvre tickets in advance at the BHV Travel Agency having read on the Louvre website all the various places you can pre-puchase. It cost one euro more and it wasn't necessary as arriving early via the metro entrance was just as good. We were there in June/July so a fairly busy time too.

I didn't see any way to get past the security line at D'Orsay but maybe someone else knows a special way in for pass holders???? Our tickets only took a couple of minutes to buy but the security queue was a bit longer (10-15 mins). Again, we arrived near opening time on a weekday in June.