We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Topic
Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

Bonjour! My mother and I just applied for our passports today to travel to Paris. We're very excited and want to check out the fabulous sites Paris has to offer. Neither one of us have traveled to France before, and this will be our first trip (other than a trip to Canada when I was 16!). We are trying to schedule a trip via the internet to get a hotel/flight deal for around $850 per person for our five day stay. Has anyone heard anything about the Holiday Inn Bastille? I read some reviews and they stated that there is a shop next door. My mother is in her 60's, and I'm not sure whether she would view it as being very safe. We are interested in traveling to the local attractions: the museums, Champ Elysees, the Eiffel Tower, and possibly attend the opera. We are hoping to walk to many attractions, as we are hesitant about our communication skills. My mother is studying up on her french by watching any movie she can that has a french clip in it......I have taken 2 years of french, but am very rusty with it, as that was 18 years ago! We will be purchasing a french/english phrase book to assist us. We plan on doing much of the planning via the internet. Any suggestions would be welcome. We are trying to keep the cost down as much as possible for our flight/hotel so that we may enjoy the luxuries that Paris has to offer. My mom is a big pastry buff!

31. Re: Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:14 pm, January 06, 2005
Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

Thanks for your messages! We have secured our flight (noticed that our combo deal went up $70 within 3 days...so thought we better get going on it), and did wind up booking flight and hotel separately. I have been having trouble with my connections for booking the hotel, (the company is based out of the UK) so I will need to call and make hotel reservations during their business hours. When booking our flight we ended up getting the last 2 seats together on one of our flights. Since neither one of us fly much, it was hard to fathom how quickly the flights fill up! Hope your new year is going great! IowaDuo

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

european traveler: I hope your trip to the Red Sea was amazing. Please get back to us. Thanks! IowaDuo

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

Iowa........ have a great trip. what a special time for you and your mom! we are heading to london and paris for 2 weeks in march. first time out of country and any big trip. our kids are 12 and 14 and just thought this to be an ideal opportunity to see someplace beautiful! have you been stressed planning this trip? I am about to go crazy, prices, hotels, airfare, excursions, etc. there is so much to think about! this is a great website, but if you are like me, you spend hours looking at EVERYTHING, because we want this trip to be perfect, right? I think we are leaning toward stayin in the area of Latin Quarter. Looks conveninent. We are trying to stay about $250 a night for a quad room........... eek, it is tough. have a wonderful trip! bon jour

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Mother / Daughter planning a trip in March

Too true! We have been researching where the best locations are that fit our budget (we need to save $ to spend on the important things - the desserts!). Tried to reserve a room, but the company is based out of the UK, so matching up their time to our time is very difficult since I am a teacher and need my sleep - 7 hour time difference. We purchased a book from a discount store that actually has an itinary for 5 days that hits all the main sites! We will modify to fit our plans, so we at least know that it could be feasible to hit the major attractions. My mother and I would love to take a day to another part of Europe, but it needs to be feasible. Has anyone heard of any day trips to Italy or areas surrounding Paris that could be reached and traveled in one day?