We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Hi,

We will be visiting Paris 1-6 June and want to visit the new Kandinsky exhibit, Louvre and d'Orsay.

People say that there will be long lines so we would buy tickets on-line. However, there is a service charge and besides I do not want them to mail the tickets.

Louvre website lists ticketnet, fnac and ticketweb. Only ticketnet is in english, and it seems the procedure they have is just shipping the tickets.

Can anybody advise about the length of the lines and any other useful information about the matter.

Thanks

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $103.40*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

My recommendation would be to pay the small service charge. You can to go to an FNAC with a ticket outlet once in Paris to pick up your tickets rather than pay for them to be mailed.

Otherwise, it just depends on how popular the exhibit and how many other people are interested same days as you.

For the nominal service charge with FNAC, you are assured of tickets without waiting in line or finding that they are sold out on your arrival.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Thanks, but the website seems to be in french only.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

How about the Museum Pass? Would it be cost effective - it gets you past the ticket lines.

The lines at D'Orsay were fairly long, but we had the Museum Pass.

At the Louvre we went in the side door that passholders can use, but other posts on TA have said that ticket lines aren't that long at entrances other than the Pyramid. Everyone has to wait in the security lines.

The Museum Pass can be easily bought at airport tourist information desks or at smaller, less busy museums. It is available for 2, 4 or 6 days.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Hi Alpha,

I'm in Paris right now. Around 4 PM today my husband and I went to the d'Orsay and got in in about 10 minutes -- security, buying tickets, and entry. Can't promise what it might be like next week, though.

Some other TA posters advised me that the Pompidou never seems to have long lines, and that the Louvre isn't bad if you go to an entrance other than the pyramid. I haven't made it to the Pompidou or Louvre yet, so I can't comment. We went to the Warhol exhibit at the Grand Palais with no line, and the Pantheon barely had a line. At the Eiffel Tower we climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor (tiny line), and even the elevator line didn't seem terrible. What was LONG was the line to go from the second floor to the top of the tower.

If you're ONLY going to visit the three museums you mentioned it's probably not cost effective to get the Museum Pass. I looked into it, but because we were spreading our museum visits out over 2 weeks, it was a good deal more expensive. If you have plenty of time to see the sights that are most important and a flexible itinerary, it might be best not to buy in advance. My hubby and I scrapped our plans to go to the Louvre today because we had a few too many drinks last night!

Have a great trip!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris, Montreal
Level Contributor
19,446 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

The Museum Pass is a good idea, it would not include access to the Kandinsky exhibit, as it's a temporary exhibition and the pass is valid for museum's permanent collections.

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

I can help you navigate the FNAC site if you want. PM me for assistance.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

There may very well be a line for the Centre Pompidou - but probably only outside, because of security checks. In that case, you will have to wait - even with tickets.

You can see for yourself how long the line (if any) is, via the webcam: www.centrepompidou.fr/webcam/popup.html

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Thanks for all the answers. It seems there are no loooong lines. But still I may buy from the FNAC site as I somehow found may way around.

Museum pass is not an option for us because we do not want to run around and see the museums. We want to enjoy the artwork and have some time.

Just anoter question: how big is d'Orsay and orangerie? and also Pompidou?

Can we do d'Orsay and orangeria in half a day and also Pompidou in half a day?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris, Montreal
Level Contributor
19,446 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Orangerie is the smallest and can be done in an hour or so, d'Orsay would take a couple of hours at least and the two are within walking distance of each other, so they can be seen in half a day (just avoid lines, esp. at d'Orsay).

Pompidou can be done in half a day, would leave it for another day though, it's not a small museum, if you like contemporary art I'd give it a few hours.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets for Louvre, Pompidou and d'orsay

Thanks,

that was what I was thinking too.