We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a question about internet cafes

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
a question about internet cafes

I am leaving for Paris tomorrow night ! I think that this is the best site to get info and opinions on the in's and out's of Paris. Here's my question: does anyone know of any internet cafes in and around the Gare Saint Lazare area. I will be staying nearby at the Hotel Concorde Saint Lazare. As this is my first trip to Paris I am looking forward to spending New Years here instead of my New York City. It's just won't the same with out Mr. Clark hosting the festivities. ( I had to use Mr. Clark because the site thought that his first name was a profanity....hummm)

South
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a question about internet cafes

I'm not sure about internet cafes but we had free use of one at the Le Grand club room and it was a French keyboard. It's very confusing as a lot of letters are in different places. To get the @ sign you must do two keys (not sure which ones they were cause they were in French also). Maybe the internet cafes have american keyboards. I tried to use one once in the south of France and never did get into hotmail before my time was up cause I was so confused.

Have a great time in Paris and remember warm clothes!

Judy

Edmonds, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a question about internet cafes

Ask at the desk at your hotel. the word is "cybercafe."

When we were staying in the Montparnasse area I made great use of the Cybercube on the rue d'Odessa. I believe Cybercube has a number of locations in Paris and I'm sure there are many other cybercafes all over the city. The one I used had an ample supply of PCs with QWERTY keyboards. I speak French, but I overheard conversations between staff and customers that took place in very good English.

Be sure to subscribe - you'll use a lot more minutes than you expected and the savings are significant.

The one I frequented had a sign that said, "Telephoner nuit gravement a l'ambiance." People actually seemed to respect it.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: a question about internet cafes

cbreze,

A friend in Paris just mentioned he was using the net from his local McDonalds. I have written him about how it works, but he may not respond in time to get the info to you. Dont know how they work or if all of the McD's have them though I have seen them in some of their places. There is a McD's right near the gare St Lazare. You might try asking them about it.

I use the internet cafe behind the McD's close to the corner of St Germain and St Michels. Found that to be good and more reasonable than others I checked. Many computers and help in English if you need it. You buy the time you want...using it all at once or a little at a time. If you can get on an English keyboard, you will need to know how to touch type because you will still have the French keyboard visually. If not just hunt and peck...........consusing, but you can get used to it....maybe.

Have a great time and Happy New Year...............Bea

Spain
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: a question about internet cafes

http://www.cybercube.fr/

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: a question about internet cafes

cbreze,

Heard from my Paris friend who said that you can get free internet service from the McDonalds if you have a lap top.....

Good trip........Bea

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: a question about internet cafes

Thank you all for the great information! I wish you all a safe, peaceful and joyous holiday.

I know this has nothing to do with Paris but if you all could say a little prayer for the families and friends of the victims of the south Asia tragedy.

Peace to you all.