We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Topic
How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

I have read several differing reports on this. Is there anybody out there that is from France or familiar with ordering steak and can help me figure out what the wording would be to order it medium...definitely dont like my steak with no red...but I know many in europe eat it a little less done than medium so I thought I might want to prepare myself so I dont get left unhappy.

Can anyone help?

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

bien cuit is well done

a point is medium

saignant is medium rare

bleu is rare

Avoid asking for bien cuit or they may give you any old bit of meat! Saying that, if you order à point it may still be a little too pink for your liking.

Why not just opt for long slow cooked dishes like boeuf bourgignan, or lamb tajines!

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

There are two ways to order for medium

1. a point means more to the medium rare side

2. plus a point would be a warm pink center as in true medium

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

For Lamb the order is generally rosé and not à point.

Plus à point is new to me, I'm going to try it tonight at L'Entrecote.

Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

I would never order a steak medium well...just know my girlfriend is a little more picky then me...really medium to medium rare would not upset me that much but her a little moreso....

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

I always had very well done steak before I came to France, now it has to be saignant or even better raw in a steak tartare!!

Give rare a chance at least once, it will taste better, and will cut like butter.

Opt for limousin or charleroi beef

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

When ordering steak cooked to medium or longer, it's best to stick with filet mignon or "tournedos", as most other cuts tend to be tougher and chewier the longer they're cooked.

I always leave lamb up to the chef, as any reputable chef knows what they're doing and the more lamb is cooked the more the flavor changes.

Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

to some extent yes...I don't agree that you can't order a steak medium...I cook steak probably once a week when I can grill it outside and I havent ever had those qualities come from a steak...but I hear ya....

I do only buy my steaks thick though...which really...thickness and marbeling matter more than just what cut...at least in my opinion

Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

Wow, there seems to be a bit mythology here about beef.

First, while inter and intra muscular fat contribute a bit to tenderness, they contribute virtually all the taste in beef.

Tournedos and filet are cuts from the tenderloin and while the most tender of the cuts in the ox, they are most likely the least flavorful.

Beef tenderness is much more a factor of the amount of use a muscle gets during the life of the ox. If the beast uses the muscle constantly like walking and standing then it just isn't going to be tender due to connective tissue.

This connective tissue is also what makes beef tough. Life is a compromise when it comes to cuts of beef. If you want flavour and frankly why eat anything if it isn't primarily for flavour, then go for cuts from the short loin. I can't recall off hand which cuts in France are from the short loin but it is easy to look up if you care to.

Now, this connective tissue contracts when heated beyond a specific temperature. It is a protein and proteins shrink when heated so cooking past medium simply means that the vast majority of the connective tissue has reached the point where it contracts.

If the meat has been aged correctly for around 6 full weeks then the natural decay process where enzymes attack the connective tissue and severe it in many places has rendered what was one longer string of connective tissue into many shorter strands. Now these short snipits of connective tissue still contract but many little bundles don't result in the toughness of one long strand.

So if all you want is tender beef then spend the fortune and buy cuts from the tenderloin but if you want taste and reasonable tenderness then buy the loin or upper rib cuts and don't grill it past medium.

New York
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

Here in the US my wife prefers her beef medium to well, but in France she orders it a pointe and likes it that way. I think the beef in France is different from what you get in the US - less fatty and more flavorful. In France, they don't seem to recognize anything between a pointe and bien cuit which seems odd to me. You might try asking for "entre a pointe et bien cuit" and see what you get.

10. Re: How to Order Steak/Lamb etc Medium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 30, 2009