We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
9 posts
Save Topic
Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

Hello,

I am planning to take a day trip to Chartres while I am in Paris. Can I use a regular Metro ticket for the RER going to Chartres? Or do I have to purchase a separate RER ticket? Thanks

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

I might be wrong, but i don't think there is a RER to Chartres, it must be a regular train so a different ticket to be purchased from Gare Montparnasse i think (double check).

Anyway, a normal metro ticket is ok on the RER only inside the city, not in the suburbs.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

No, you can't - Metro tickets are only good for RER travel within Paris itself. In any case, Chartres is beyond the RER network; trains there are on SNCF's TER network. You'll need to buy your ticket at the Montparnasse station (from a manned ticket booth, not a self-service machine, as your U.S. credit card won't work in the latter).

See this thread for more info:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k249…

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

Chartres is outside the region covered by the RER system. Just buy a regular local train ticket (departs Gare Montparnasse).

p.s. a 'regular metro ticket' covers only Paris boundaries; if you want to venture outside of Paris, you must have a ticket or pass that covers the zone

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

Is there any advantage to buying it ahead of time for a trip there in July?

USA
Level Contributor
27,548 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

To the best of my knowledge, you can't pre-purchase PARIS-CHARTRES on-line....nor are there are any discounted fares available through pre-purcahse. One-way fare 13,90€...round-trip fare 27,80€--travel time from PARIS-Gare Montparnasse to CHARTRES approx 60-70 minutes.

The very pleasant stroll up the hill from CHARTRES station to the cathedral is perhaps anopthewr 10-15 miinutes through the town. There is a Tourist Information Office located just to the left of the cathedral...where you can pickup Chartres streetmaps, a pretty good self-directed walking tour brochure and various other informational brochures.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

I did buy online in 2007, just wondering if I really needed to do that

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

Don't worry about buying in advance. Here's a very nuts and bolts description of the process:

Though it's a short-haul (Transilien) train, you can buy at either the long-distance or short-haul ticket windows at the Montparnasse station. The ticket agent will tell you when the next train is departing. If you buy round trip, the return will be open.

Then go to the Transilien vestibule and look on the big board for your train. A few minutes before departure the board will tell you which track to go to. Before boarding the train, validate your ticket in one of the machines (there are 2 types of validation machine in slightly different locations--one for the small tix that look like subway tix, one for the tix that look like airline tix).

When you enter the station lobby in Chartres, check the monitor for the times of trains departing for Paris so you can plan a good time to be back at the station. As you go through the departure door to the tracks, validate your return ticket.

8. Re: Paris to Chartres Cathedral transport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 20, 2009