We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Paris
Search

Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
68 reviews
119 helpful votes
Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

As I understand it, it costs nothing if you are calling someone else and you are both using your Skype account and about 2.5 cents per minute if you are calling a non-Skype number.

Is that right and can anyone tell me about their Skype experience in calling overseas?

Thank you!

durham, nc
Level Contributor
184 posts
1. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

i believe that is correct and it has worked great for us! My nephew is in school in Paris and we Skype all the time! Sometimes we lose connection but not too often to be a pain!

I love it!

kildare ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
2. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

hi pix, yes you are correct, skype to skype is free...i regularly call my daughter in australia so i find it brilliant. when she's not online, if i call her mobile it costs me about 16 cents per min compared to 90c min from my land line... you will find their exact charges if u do a search... Tina

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

Hi pix,

We use SKYPE almost exclusively for all calls, local or to the US. Local calls in France on the France Telecom public network are metered and expensive so we literally use skype to call our next door neighbor in Paris.

Calls are so cheap (or free), we talk for hours to family on the west coast of the US. Actually, we video call them. Video calls are also free if you have skype at both ends.

We also have a skypeout number, a local number in a town near where our kids live so they don't pay anything to call us. They dial a local number from any phone and it rings on our PowerBook. It's one of the most useful inventions an expat could ever hope for.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

I pay US $3/month for a Skype plan that gives me unlimited calls to any landline or cell numbers in the US (maybe N. America, but I can't remember). Wherever I'm at in the world, all I need is an internet connection to place the calls.

We will use this to make video calls home to our young children while in Paris this spring.

There are similar rates for placing unlimited calls to different countries.

So far, I've only used the service domestically, but the call quality was better than my AT&T cell service!

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
330 posts
83 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

When I was in Paris last November I used Skype a lot, used it to keep in touch with family in New Zealand, Ireland and Asia, Skype is brilliant!

I just use the video function, my laptop has built in camera and had no problems with connections in Paris..video calls cost nothing.

We had free wifi in our hotel room in Paris, so no costs all round.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
26,135 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

The the choice of VoIP communication is a sound one with obvious advantages of cost. Those who prefer open-source software may want to consider Skype alternatives such as:

Multiplatform options:

FreeSWITCH - http://www.freeswitch.org/

YATE - http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/

Linux:

Ekiga - http://www.ekiga.org/

MacOS X

XMeeting - xmeeting.sourceforge.net/pages/index.php

Windows:

OpenH323 Project - http://www.openh323.org/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,293 posts
11 reviews
67 helpful votes
7. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

Sarastro, I've also used Gizmo (gizmoproject.com) with good success.

Pix, we have a US SkypeIn number, so our famiily and friends can call us at our home in France by dialing a US number.

We chose Skype simply because its popularity means that more people have it on their computer (yes, Skype to Skype is always free, as is the download) -- and because it is far easier to find hardware. Buying a phone compatible with Gizmo is just this side of impossible, but a good USB Skype phone is $30 at Walmart.

We also bought an unlimited US calling program -- any US phone, any time -- for $30 a year.

Call quality is very good -- on holidays it can get a little dodgy, but that's due to heavy usage.

It was my lifeline in my first days in Paris when I was so homesick and missed my family -- I could just pick up the phone and call them whenever I felt like it...Paris wasn't so far away when I could call family and friends anytime!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
26,135 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

Sunshine - Actually, I have a VoIP line setup at our home with GizmoProject (and there are several other good companies I failed to mention).

If you want to find how to setup VoIP devices to work with virtually any provider, take a look at this website (specifically under tools):

http://voxilla.com/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,293 posts
11 reviews
67 helpful votes
9. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)
Save

Heehee -- in the middle of an international relocation, anything that takes care of an issue simply and quickly is a good idea!

I actually like Gizmo's call quality better, although Skype's is very good -- and I seem to recall that there was another issue that wasn't going to work well (seem to think it was related to buying an inbound number).

I just didn't have the time or stress resources available to deal with it -- and happily have had no problems with Skype at all.

10. Re: Using Skype to Call the U.S. from Paris (or reverse)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 20, 2009