We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Bonjour,

Can anyone help suggest excursions and day trips for a two week trip. How can we maximize our trip and can you give details. I already searched the other discussions on this site.

Merci

alpharetta, ga
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Excursions: Versailles is an easy 30 minute ride by RER. It is nice to wander the gardens and the town is nice for walking as well.

Giverny is also a nice rather easy trip. Train and then a quick bus ride as I remember. And St Germaine is a wonderful day trip. Especially market days. A lovely town to the east of Paris and a quick train ride. Nice homes, nice restaurants and part.

As for Paris. Get a book giving details of each of the arrondissements and then get a metro pass and explore most of them 20. Of course, there are some in the North to be avoided but for the most part just walk. The Carte Musee pass is wonderful and a good value. Definately buy it. But, don't spend all your time in the musees. I think Paris is to be explored on foot.

Liz

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

We were in Paris last month and took a day trip to the D-day beaches in Normandy. We booked a trip through the website www.francetourisme.fr. The office for this company is just across from the Ile de la Cite and very accessable from the St. Michel metro station. We throughly enjoyed our trip although we wished we would have had more time to explore the history of Normandy. I would highly recommend booking a trip through this company...their offices are convenient, their guide was very friendly and knowledgeable, and their prices were the best we found. Bonne chance et passez un bon yoyage :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Thanks for the great ideas!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

You've gotten Versailles, Giverny and Normandy

I can't recommend Chartres more highly. You can

reach it by train in a hour. A great gothic church

with much to learn.

There are Loire Valley Tours.

You could check out Brugge.

Best Wishes

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Wow! More great ideas.

Thank you!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,174 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

This was fun to do, too, on a sunny afternoon. The one we took went down four sets of locks and the last leg was underground and was a cold 18 minutes. The people who live and work along the canals come out when the boat is in the lock and wave at the passengers. The two boats only make one or two trips a day because along with the locks, there are several bridges which must be raised which holds up traffic, and there are two places where the rode actually swings to one side to allow the boat to pass. I think we did the "From the Parc de la Villette" trip and you can book a round trip or one way.

group-trotter.net/france/…canaux.html

Peter Krynicki

Plainsboro, New Jersey

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

Thanks

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

My favourite is Rouen one-hour train ride from St Lazare station, and plenty to see, many quaint houses from the 16th 17th century painted with vivid colours. Don't miss the aitre st Maclou...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

I heard that that is a great day trip to do!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on Excursions and daytrips for a 2 week trip

What about taking a tour to Loire Valley, so we can catc hall the chateaus? Should we stay there and then which area?