We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

The reviews of these restaurants are so tempting however I am traveling with my three pre-teens and will have to pass on that experience until next time.

That said, can you reccommend restaurants that serve the same genre of food, but at a budget cost? Also if you would note the atmosphere that would be great!

Mahalo!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

You are missing the point. These restaurants serve superb food with impeccable service, and they charge the going rate for it. There are absolutely no budget restaurants that are anywhere near this standard.

Having said that, Paris has hundreds of restaurants which serve excellent food at a reasonable price. For me, one of the joys of Paris is wandering around in the early evening, a bit away from the main tourist areas, looking at the restaurant menus and deciding where to eat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

Go to the Guy Savoy website and look at the other restaurants where he is in partnership with other chefs. Two of these on particular, Maitre Albert and Les Bouquinistes are still lovely food with Guy's hallmark refinements but at a cheaper rate. You might also consider a fine French restaurant for lunch rather than dinner where there is often the same food but at a much cheaper price.

www.guysavoy.com

"The restaurant GUY SAVOY offers each day an exclusive tasting menu at lunch for guests who wish to discover the delights of a French gourmet restaurant.

From our entire menu guests can choose a half entrée, one main dish, and half-desert, for the price of 100 €. Our expert sommelier will propose wines by the glass starting from 10 €.

This special is only offered to web surfers!"

If you do not drink alcohol the price drops again. I find we can often spend as much on the wine as on the food (hic!) when you try to choose something that will marry well with the food from a quite exclusive wine list (and we don't go near the top ones)

The food was nice at Jules Verne but much, much better at Guy Savoy. At Jules Verne you go as much for the experience and view as the food

www.lejulesverne-paris.com

They have an E85 menu for lunch with three choices per course.

We try to have just ONE magnificent dining experience per trip. It is an evening's entertainment as well as a meal, and can easily last three or more hours. People pay a similar amount to go to a light meal and then the opera, or to the Follies, so we don't feel too extravagant.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

Thank you both for the wonderful info, perhaps my mother and I can have lunch at Jules Vernon while the kids Ice Skate...lol...probably not a well thought out idea!

Anyway I guess what I am looking for is French fare I can enjoy with the kids.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

Yup 100 euros a head, what a deal for the kiddies,, lol, too funny. As OP mentioned she is with young children and at 100 per head I personally would not take pre teens to such a place. Perhaps if one had only one child...

Brasseries are a fun and lively option for dining out with kids. Check out the website for the Flo Brasseries,, we like La Coupole, but I would try Bofingers also.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

This is a nice web site for some restaurants in the Marais. They have menus and prices. If you see something you like than check the TA reviews. They also have some nice cultural tips that will ensure you commit no faux paugh's.

The Innamorati Caffe is one of our favorites, 57 rue Charlot.

www.parismarais.com/selected-restaurants.htm

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

That was an outstanding site, thank you OT!

Here's another question. What's a good bistro or resaturant that has outdoor seating around a square that is good for people watching?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

<<<What's a good bistro or resaturant that has outdoor seating around a square that is good for people watching?>>>

Wow. You may want to start another posting. It seems Paris invented these.

My favorites are La Terrasse near the metro Ecole Militaire (very close to the park in front of the Eiffel Tower), they have great rotisserie chicken and pomme frites. We also like Chez la Mere Catherine across from the artists at Place du Tertre (pron: plas du tare). The whole tourist world seems to stroll by Place du Tertre. Others have mentioned Cafe Eugene as their favorite, but we have never been there. There are numerous bistros around the Latin Quarter near Notre Dame, Le Depart near the fountain of St Michel comes to mind. Huge number of tourists, really good people watching while you rest your feet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

€100 for a Guy Savoy lunch *is* a bit of a bargain – given how much dining will cost you. And lynnb48 is right: lunching (rather than dining) can be a much more affordable way of experiencing Michelin quality food in Paris, if that is what you are after.

Taillevent – for example – does a lunch menu for €80 (www.taillevent.com). Like Guy Savoy, it also operates a cheaper restaurant (L'Angle du Faubourg) which does a menu du jour for €38.

For more budget options, one of our big favourites is Le Pre Verre in the 5th (www.lepreverre.com), which does an entrée + main lunch menu for €13.50, with a glass of house wine and a coffee. It also does a 3 course menu at dinner for €28.50.

La Table de Lauriston in the 16th is good value – especially the lunch menu which (from memory) is between €25 and €30.

Mon Vieil Ami (www.mon-vieil-ami) is about €40 for a 3 course meal (lunch or dinner) and a dish of the day for €15.

La La Regalade in the 14th and Chez l'Ami Jean in the 7th have Michelin quality food at bistro prices – and with bistro service. So, you won’t get the “fine dining” feel for the prices they charge.

We used to love Le Pamphlet in the Marais – but, sadly, the bland make over seems to have seeped into the menu (and the prices have gone up).

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

if you weigh up the whole experience , atmosphere and food, Jules Verne wins hands down for us! Lunchtime menu is better value plus the view is better in the daytime.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guy Savoy / Jules Verne / Le Cinq genre for less money?

I think we need to put this in perspective again. The OP was about travelling with 3 pre-teens but wanting good food experiences.

While there were children at our dinner at Jules Verne, I think their parents were more than wealthy (one family owned hotels in Paris). I have no idea if there is a reduced cost for children but for five people it might be a bit too expensive even at lunch. As Kanai says, she could send the kids skating while she and her mum eat, but probably not.