We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth
11 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

Hi-

My husband and I will be in Paris on Christmas Eve and would love to go to the mass at Notre Dame. I went to their website but the schedules for services are in French (go figure!) Anyway, has anyone ever been before? What type of clothing do we wear? Is it even a possibility?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES! :-)

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

What would you wear to a Chrismas Eve service in whatever house of worship you might attend in Fort Worth ?? THAT will be just fine for Notre Dame....unless you're a regular congregant at the Church of the Blessed Nudist, Inc. or Our Lady of the Lap Dance in Dallas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,171 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

OK the itinerary for the day is in French but you are able to translate that using Altavista Bablefish.

Post a small amount of print into the first box, click French -English and then translate and het presto, a pretty good translation.

uk.babelfish.yahoo.com

eg

Messe de Minuit

présidée par le Cardinal André VINGT-TROIS, Archevêque de Paris, concélébrée par les chapelains de la Cathédrale.

Midnight mass chaired by the Cardinal TWENTY-THREE Andre, Archbishop of Paris, concélébrée by the chaplains of the Cathedral. (concelebrated, meaning more than one priest, presumably the 23rd Cardinal)

Basically it is giving mass times, organ recital times and tour times.

I would arrive early for whichever mass you choose, maybe at least half an hour. If you intend midnight mass there are two hours of visual projections, organ music and choirs which would be superb. You should be able to sit anywhere in the main seating area unless it shows reserved signs. If you are later you may have to stand.There is never a charge to attend mass and you dress modestly, but as it will be winter you will be covered up anyway. No need for a head covering.

Fort Worth
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

You are hilarious! Thanks for putting a smile on my face today! :-)

Fort Worth
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

I am SO thankful for your helpful response! God bless you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

On Christmas Eve 2004, we did this for midnight Mass on impulse (just walked over from our apartment, which was about 5 or 6 blocks away). I'm glad we did, but - be aware that this is VERY popular (the place was literally jammed full, to the point where when we squeezed in we could not move at all), and the lines were VERY long (tight security check to get in, understandable in all the circumstances in this day and age). If you are going to attempt this for midnight Mass be sure to arrive at least an hour (if I were doing it again, I would allow 90 minutes minimum) before the start time. Even so, you may well end up crammed into one of the side aisles, and not able to see (although certainly you still could hear the music, etc.). We enjoyed being there for part of it (by the time we gained entry it was well under way), and enjoyed walking around afterward on a cold but clear night in Paris.

All that said, I was glad we went - I just don't think I would do it more than once, specifically because of the crowds. You might, however, want to consider going to a Christmas eve mass at one of the other very old churches (there are many, and many are very beautitful) that are not on the "tourist circuit." For example, you might want to try St Eustache near Les Halle, or St Sulpice near Luxembourg gardens. If you will be in Paris for a few days before Christmas Eve, take a look at various churches as you walk around and see if there is one you might enjoy. (On Christmas day, many churches have afternoon musical presentations - we went to one at St Nicholas, in the Latin Quarter either right on or just off of rue des Ecoles - can't recall exactly - which was a delightful way to spend some time.)

Merry Christmas (Joyeux Noel!)

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

The lines were so long and it was so packed my husband and I gave up and settled back into our room with a nice bottle of champagne and a little stash of gourmet treats. What I would suggest is a walking tour of various churches on Christmas Day – with little else open it’s a great way to get some fresh air, explore and it’s really festive. I especially enjoy all the old Cribs/Mangers. Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

Bear in mind that Christmas Eve is one of the '..main events..' for the Catholic Church and as noted above, mass at Notre Dame is one of the biggest and best....and usually packed. But there are also other WONDERFUL...if less grand...neighborhood churches/parishes in Paris--Saint Eustache, Saint Sulpice, Saint Etienne du Mont, Saint Séverin, Basilique Sainte Clotilde, Saint Roch, Saint-Germain L'Auxerrois, Saint Merri, etc---that also do Christmas masses, often with grand organ and choral accompaniment, on a somewhat smaller....perhaps more 'human' scale....and no one does pomp and pagaentry beter than the Catholic Church.

Kansas City
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

I went to Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame in 2004. They said a small part in English. It was a great experience.

There is not need to worry about what you wear. The big old churches are difficult to heat so you will probably not take off your coat.

You need to get there early. Everyone has to go through a security scanner.

I was surprised by the security in Paris. At the Eiffel Tower there were military walking in threes with machine guns. The same at Notre Dame.

There were several people that came out with the Priest. I am not Catholic so I don't know their titles. I noticed one man that stood out. He was walking behind the person that seemed to be the top title. It became obviously that he was a security guard. He had a wireless piece over his ear.

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

Hi!

I attended an international mass at Notre Dame one sunday in 2005, and it was wonderful.

Please, check this site

notredamedeparis.fr/Mass-and-service-times

Maybe your have more information but in English.

Bye.

Elisa.-

10. Re: Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 14, 2009