We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montmartre on Metro Pass?

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Montmartre on Metro Pass?

It seems I may have overlooked something. I am just looking more closely at a map and am wondering if a basic metro pass that covers city center will get us to Montmartre. Does anyone know the answer?

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from $108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from $331.40*
New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

It should since a regular, one way Metro card will get you to Montmartre. If you get the one day pass, it will also cover the cost of the Funiculaire at the bottom of the hill to go up to Montmartre and back.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

Montmartre is in the 18th arrondissement, which is in transport zone 1, so you can use any ticket (the cheapest tickets are for zones 1-2).

Closest metro stations are Anvers and Abbesses, maybe also Lamarck Caulaincourt and Château Rouge.

There is also a small funicular railway that can bring you to the base of the Sacré-Coeur basilica. It is run by the RATP that also runs the buses and metro, so you can use the same tickets.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

AWESOME! Thank you 2 so much. I have done so much reading that it is all starting to run together. In fact I was just looking at the ratp website to try to remember what I had decided before. I know it will all make sense when we get there.

Thanks again!

USA
Level Contributor
28,506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

ALL of the City of Paris (and in some places a bit beyond) is within Transportation Zones 1-2...you can use the Périphérique (the 'ring road' around Paris) as you rough guide. At least for the purposes of travel via regular METRO (NOT necessarily via RER or Bus) ALL stations that you can reach via regular Metro are within Transportation Zones 1-2.

So any regular Ticket or Zone 1-2 transportation Pass will cover ALL public transportation modalities (RER/METRO/BUS/FUNICULAR/TRAM/NOCTILIEN Bus) within the City of Paris.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
978 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

Unless you really enjoy climbing stairs and I mean lots of stairs avoid Abbesses. I don't know how many stairs there are, but its several flights and a spiral staircase.

Another easy was to get to Montmartre is the bus which goes up the hill, loops around, and the goes back down. It runs every 20ish minutes dependent on traffic and parked cars. You can pick it up at the bottom at Pigalle.

You can usse a Metro ticket, I don't know about the pass.

Enjoy!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

Are you talking about the Navigo decouvert/carte orange?

Yes we went to Montmatre on the metro and returned on the bus with the 1-2 zone pass lat week.

We actually travelled to Lamark Coulaincourt metro on line 12 and walkd DOWN the hill. A nice tour of a quaint old, less crowded part of Montmatre and easier on the legs.

Denise

Love from England

Montreal
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

We were in Paris last July and stayed in Montmartre and loved it! About the Abesses metro station, it is actually the deepest one of the whole Paris subway system but just so you know you don't have to climb stairs if you don't want to, there is a (very large) elevator that will take you down or up to the surface.

Enjoy your trip!

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

Getting to Montmartre by Metro ...

Abbesses: The lift gets you most of the way up, but there are still 39 steps to reach street level (fairly average for a Paris Metro station).

Lamarck Caulaincourt: An attractive alternative route which approaches the hill from behind, as it were. While grndma may have gone down from there, the route to Sacre Coeur from the station is definitely uphill.

Angers: Probably the easiest route. Take the pedestrianised Rue de Steinkerque up the hill, turn left at the top, then take the Funiculaire up to Sacre Coeur.

9. Re: Montmartre on Metro Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 12, 2009