We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which arrondissement to stay in

england
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
which arrondissement to stay in

We are going to Paris for the first time over new year. We are looking at two apartments - one in Rue Greneta round the corner from the Rue de Montorgueil, which is the 2nd arrondissement and other in the 5th arrondissement. Can anyone tell me which is the quieter area? as that is what we want especially at night.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from $103.80*
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
86 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which arrondissement to stay in

We normaly stay at the 7ème Arr at Rue de Bourgogne in the Invalides area, since it's well guarded because of the embassies, and served with good bistros, metros, shops. We tend to stay away from the turisty areas and at the Invalides you don't see them much. Also it's walking distance to Place de la Concorde, Tuileries, Eifel Tower, rue de Cler, Musee d'Orsay... We wouldn't think about staying anywere else!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which arrondissement to stay in

We have stayed twice in the 1st District, quiet at night (some say boring but that's OK with me); this past June our apartment was close to Rue Montrorgueil, which is a very busy market street, but your apartment is just nearby, so it's probably fine. Find out what businesses are nearby or under your apartment (like a restaurant, etc.) Fifth District would be livlier I would think, younger people, college kids...

Duluth, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which arrondissement to stay in

I LOVE LOVE the rue de montorgueil area, I'd stay there over the 5th, though I do like being near the action. Montorgueil is very "neighborhoody" and I feel like it gives me more of an authentic Paris experience than does the 5th. Both areas are busy, but Montorgueil is quieter in the evening than the 5th. Though things start pretty early at the market in the mornings.

Claire

4. Re: which arrondissement to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 06, 2009