We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musee tickets

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Musee tickets

My wife and I only have a full day to spare visiting the local museums. Since she likes Impressionists paintings and I wanna see the Mona Lisa (I know, very touristy!), we have decided to go to the Louvre and the d'Orsay. We plan our day tour for a Wednesday, Dec 22. Based on what I've read, both the museums should be open and the Louvre till late evening. My questions are how long do we have to wait in line to purchase the tickets? Any shortcuts? The tickets are good for multiple entries on the same day? TQ

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Musee tickets

Hi Andrew,

I strongly believe you should purchase the museum tickets in advance, because when we were in Paris 2 years ago around the same time as your trip and decided to visit the Louvre and the Musee d' Orsay, it was extremely cold, the lines were horrendously long, and it really helped that we had the museum passes. The passes allow unlimited access to over 60 monuments and museums and no waiting in line! We just sauntered in front of the lines and into the warm museums. Also, be prepared to get a quick look at the Mona Lisa. There is an armed guard by La Gioconda and he/she will shoo you away very quickly, but it is worth it. I will post a helpful site for the museum pass if you so decide to purchase the pass in advance.

www.discoverfrance.com/gotoparis/musee.html…

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musee tickets

Andrew,

I believe the 1 day Carte Musee is available for 18 euros. You can find it online, but I don't know if there is a premium if you purchase in the USA. Most metro stations in Paris sell the pass.

I was just in Paris and bought passes at a smaller metro station. They do take credit cards. I printed a page off the internet to show the cashier what I wanted since I don't speak French, but the transaction was totally painless.

You will have to go through the main security line at the D'Orsay, no way around that, but then with the pass you can walk right in to the galleries.

There is an alternative entrance at the Louvre, not as scenic as entering through the Pyramid, but it will save time if you are on a tight schedule. You can enter underground direct from the Palais Royal Musee de Louvre metro station attached to a shopping mall called the Carousel. There was o line at security when I entered in the late

morning on Saturday.

Neither museum was that hard to get into last week. At about 10:30 on Friday the line to buy tickets at the D'Orsay was only about 10 deep and the Louvre has set up a ton of self service machines to buy tickets, so if you don't get tickets in advance you may be okay anyway, but I wouldn't take a chance.

All of these details are listed, along with self guided tours hitting the highlights of these museums in Rick Steves Paris guidebook. The book was an invaluable tool on my trip. It is available at Barnes and Noble and most book stores.

Note that Mona has been moved from the location listed in the Rick Steves guidebook, but you can't miss her they have signs everywhere in the wing she resides in.

By the way the Louvre has restaurants obsiously, but if you are rushed you can buy a baguette sandwich at a little shop n the lobby, gulp it down and run off to your next site.

If you have any time or energy left after visiting both museums the pass is good at a ton of other ones. Also St. Chappelle, near Notre Dame, whihc has the most impresssive stained glass windows you will ever see.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musee tickets

I should have added Rick Steves has a great website

www.ricksteves.com

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musee tickets

No matter the price of the Museum pass go for it. The time and aggravation you will save by not waiting in line is worth a fortune (especially when it is cold and windy in Paris since the Musee d'Orsay waiting line is close to the Seine).

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musee tickets

Actually, having just been there last week the security line is outside at the D'Orsay, everyone goes through it. The ticket line is inside. It took us maybe 5 minutes, probably less to clear the security line, even with our museum passes.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musee tickets

Incidentally, the regular admission to the Louvre is 8.5 and the D'Orsay is 7, so you are only paying a coule extra euros for the advantage of skipping lines. I believe it is worth the little extra for the pass and if you can sneak in a quick peek at St. Chappelle, the Rodin Museum or countless others youu will mor than have paid for the pass.

USA
Level Contributor
27,106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musee tickets

If you're fans of the Impressionists then you should make some time to get out to the MUSEE MARMOTTAN--2 rue Louis-Boilly (at Ave Raphael), 75016, Metro: #9-La Muette

http://www.marmottan.com/ This was the private collection of Claude Monet and contains, among others, wonderful examples of Berthe Morrisot's work. The Marmottan is NOT included on the Carte Musee et Monuments--but well worth both the time and cost to visit.

MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Musee tickets

Thanks all for your advices. Is the Musee day pass valid for the Invalides too?

USA
Level Contributor
27,106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Musee tickets

YES...it is good for entry to all of the museums and attraction associated with Invalides. The Carte Musee et Monuments covers entry to the regular collections and exhibits of of 70 museums & monuments and monuments in and around Paris. In the case of Invalides this includes the Musee de la Armee, Tombeau de Napoleon, Musee des Plans-reliefs and Musee d'Histoire Contemporaire.

Unfortunately the regular museum & monuments pass web site (http://www.intermusees.com/) has been 'down' for awhile now. For more information on the pass and what it covers within Paris, check:

MUSEUMS-of-PARIS-- http://www.museums-of-paris.com/

PARIS VISITE-- parisvisite.tm.fr/english/musmon/welcome.html

For more information on INVALIDES in general check: http://www.invalides.org/