We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Greetings fellow forumites!!

I want to hear your flat-out opinion about staying in an apartment on Blvd de Clichy, 4 floors above a long row of s*x shops. The monoprix and post office are right next door, on the next block. (gotta have an upside to everything, right?!)

I���ve been getting concern from a few friends who tell me it is not safe, but I know that it is also a residential area with hard working, regular folk residing above those shops. I asked A Parisian acquaintance and her only concern seemed the traffic noise.

A few places on google (keyword Pigalle) even suggest the neighborhood is getting chic. And the real estate prices have gone way up. Another site says lots of young families have moved into the area.

So what is the straight skinny on this? I agree the immediate area���s charm is definitely lacking, even though the apartment is QUITE! But one block away is Rue Lepic and Amelie���s caf��, and shops, etc. so one need not travel far to find a better scene.

Is this a serious unwise decision for two women in their early 40���s? (Blue collar women, mind you!)

LOL! (well, you know, that could make a difference, here!)

lasscass

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

I would not call it seriously unwise, but I also would not recommend it to you unless you have some specific reason to want to stay there. There are many more cool, happening and, yes, "safer" places than Blvd Clichy. I would not make a change out of fear, for the odds are very good that nothing other than verbal harassment will come your way, I just wouldn't stay there if it were me, the seediness and potential for some kind of harassment being a part of the decision.

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

i'd say that if you wante to see a 'different' view of Paris then go ahead. You certainly won't need to go far for bars/clubs/night-life.

The only think I don't like about the area are the people that try to coax you into their clubs with promises of free drinks, lap-dancing, etc...

Southern California
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Hiya M.Giroux and Ptegan ,

Well, I'm just so tired of looking at apartments, and seeing ugly sheet-covered sofas, and peoples personal clutter thrown all over and it was fun at first, looking, but it has gotten to the point of being extremely exhaustive, and this Blvd de Clichy apartment meets so much of my picky-fussy criteria. It's on a corner unit (those seem very rare to find, as a rental) and has awesome floor to cieling windows on the 5th floor. And is tastefull and uncluttered. A really charming apartment, but not in a desirable location. I don't want to be hassled by anyone, but am near my ropes end finding a affordable place that is also tastefull.

I looked up this particular area on VirtualTourist, and there were about 12 reports written by people, all bad, very bad, I am afraid. I don't worry for my safety, but I don't like to be in a depressed area, and I don't like being hassled. And I am bringing two friends who have never been to Paris...not a great first impression! I have a feeling I'm going to have to start looking again.

lasscass

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Well I guess it's really up to you in the end.

In my opinion, Pigalle is seedy as much as Hollywood Boulevard is seedy. I wouldn't go there with a family and young kids maybe but on my own and/or with friend? Why not ?

The area is really only about 10 blocks large and its about 10 minutes walk to Montmartre where most tourists swear by.

I'd prefer to get a place by Pigalle rather than somewhere that in my opinion can sometimes lack character (places in the 13th/14/15/16/).

Virtual Tourist also has some good things to say about the area :)

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_…

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

I lived a few blocks away on Rue Pigalle for about two months. Its really not a bad area. You might have some road work noise as they have been working on the blvds lately adding bus lanes. Dont know if that is finished or not but it could be by now. I never felt threatened. I am a man and was constantly asked into the s3x shops. As I was not very interested, the women would follow me and grab onto me to try to pull me in. I finally figured out that the magic words were "I live in the neighborhood." Other than that I never had any problems. The area towards Barbes Rochechouart was a little more seedy but that seems to be moving upwards as well. I really see no reason you shouldnt stay there if you are really set on the apartment. You have easy access to Montmartre which is charming and Clicy had two metro lines which gives you more options for moving about. You can find some nice restaurants towards Montmartre so I dont think you will be lacking there.

(how absurd that you cant use the word S3X. Crazy.)

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Lasscass: Re the post by ptegan about being lured into clubs with drinks,etc., please go to the London form and look at the post "Warning - Scam in London" certainly is food for thought. Having never been to Paris, I can't offer a comment or any advice.

over here
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

I agree with ptegan about taking friends there... if this is their first visit and they're footing some of the costs, I'd think they'd prefer something with more charm - the more stereotypical parisian neighborhood that people picture when they think of Paris.

My next visit is solo and I'm staying in the 13e which I understand is not charming or picturesque (from what I've been told.) But do I care? No. I wanted to see a less touristy version and it's just me to answer to. Plus the travel package I got was amazing :D

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

Pidge, I read that 'Scam in London' thread earlier tonight and it reminded me of one that was on this site a few months ago that was also posted by a first timer who never showed up again.

It was the same story told in the same order about a couple of guys being lured into a red-light district club only to find they were bullied into something more and felt afraid for their safety. Only difference was the Paris thread claimed it happened in Pigalle. They sound like urban myths to me.

Can any other TA addicts remember the Paris thread? I can't recall enough precise words to be able to call it up again (or TA has removed it?)

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

The normal 'scam' in Paris is 2 guys lured into a club/bar.

Woman/Women dance topless for guys.

Girls ask for a drink, guys say yes, girls order botte of Champagne

Guys refuse to pay and big, burly men come out of the shadows.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you think I am crazy to stay on Blvd de Clichy????

I read the London scam and yes, I do remember a posting here that was similar. Two guys going into a club on Pigalle and being forced by threat of violence to pay for some overpriced Champagne. Who knows, maybe this is something that happens all over the world to the same guy.

As for staying in the area I would not. It is not a very attractive area and is lacking in the ambience that I so enjoy in Paris. The streets are busy with lots of tragffic, day and night. There is alot of graffiti. During during the day they have all these shops selling cheap clothes. There are men who are standing around leaning against buildings. I don't know why. There is a Monoprix, but I don't recall any nice bakery or cafe in the area. I'm sure Paris has a lot less violent crime than we do so I'd not worry too much about that. I wish I could think of an area in Ca. to compare it to but I can't. Perhaps the tenderloin district of San Francisco. The good thing about Paris is that you can easily change neighborhoods. I love Mont Marte.