We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

Niagara region...
2 posts
Save Topic
four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

Any one have any suggestions what these teens would really like to do?

Whiich is the best flea maket for teens to find funky clothing deals?

Cool place to hear music without drinking, ages are 11. 15, 16 and 19.

Best area to book a hotel where I can send them out a bit on their own while I lock door and recover in room? Suitable hotel? Tricky numbers in our booking, perhaps two rooms required.....in different hotels :)

Best Christmas market if there is such a thing?

I prefer the Montmartre area and liked the shopping down the Rue des Martyrs during other Paris visits.

All suggestions welcome except leaving kids at home and taking husband instead. I wouldn't have a house left standing by the time I returned from the vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,712 Reviews
Paris, France
Rue des Martyrs
Rue des Martyrs
77 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,814 hotels in Paris
Le 10 Bis Hotel
Le 10 Bis Hotel
#7 of 1,814 hotels in Paris
USA
Level Contributor
29,173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

>>>Any one have any suggestions what these teens would really like to do?<<<

Why not let the teens do some basic research (travel guides, internet, etc) and decide what interests them for themselves?

>>>Whiich is the best flea maket for teens to find funky clothing deals?<<<

The weekend (open Sat & Sun) marche aux puce & brocante down at Vanves--Ave. de la Porte de Vanves & rue Marc Sangnier, 75014, Metro: #13--Vanves.....and in the same general vicinity, the marche Mouton-Duvernet (open Tues, Fri & Sun)--btwn. rue Mouton-Duvernet & rue Brezin, 75014--right at Metro: #4--Mouton-Duvernet. In addition to this there are several depot-ventes (consignment shops) and 'Stock' (sort-of-outlet shops) located along the rue d'Alesia in the same general neighborhood.

>>>Best area to book a hotel where I can send them out a bit on their own while I lock door and recover in room? Suitable hotel? Tricky numbers in our booking, perhaps two rooms required.....I prefer the Montmartre area...<<<

The best areas to book a hotel, where you can feel relatively confident that the kids will have plenty ot see and do in reasonable safety (both day & night) will be the neighborhoods at the 'core' of Paris--1st--Louvre/Tuileries, 3rd--Marais; 4th--lower Marias & Iles & lower 9th--Madeleine/Opera/Grand Boulevards on the Right Bank and 5th--Latin Quarter & 6th--Saint Germain des Pres on the Left Bank---in either case, the closer to the Seine the better. As for hotels up in the 18th--Montmartre, the immediate neighborhoods there will be fine (if perhaps a bit inconvenient for getting to the rest of Paris) but many of the routes between the rest of Paris and Montmartre will take the kids through the general Place Pigalle neighborhood on foot...which may not meet with your approval, especially in the evenings.

As for hotel rooms, you will need at least two rooms--a double and triple (there are no single hotel rooms (other than large, two-bedroom suites) which will accommodate a family of five(5). Time may be too short but...had you considered renting an apartment for your visit??

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,712 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Madeleine
Madeleine
148 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,781 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Hotel Saint Germain des...
340 Reviews
Paris, France
Place Pigalle
Place Pigalle
793 Reviews
Paris, France
Niagara region...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

Thank you for your reply. I am a little worried about evening wandering but I was in Paris recently and thought the scene in the Latin Quarter at night was a bit rich for me.... full of tourists, mostly tourists and the unsavoury types that hope to profit from such a crowd. Sure it was fun but it was a bit like visiting a midway.

I did think apartment but five occupants is a tricky number so 2 bedrooms plus apartment gets very expensive.

Flea market info is very valuable for my three girls. Thank you. We can not afford the expensive shops. Son is tall muscular football player who can stand guard for pickpockets. I had to beat one off once at Clignancourt market, (spelling?)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,781 Reviews
Paris, France
USA
Level Contributor
29,173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

>>>I am a little worried about evening wandering but I was in Paris recently and thought the scene in the Latin Quarter at night was a bit rich for me.... full of tourists, mostly tourists and the unsavoury types that hope to profit from such a crowd. Sure it was fun but it was a bit like visiting a midway<<<

I'm not sure that that description of the 5th--Latin Quarter is quite correct. There are certainly areas--the Place Saint Michel and the small streets--rue de l'Harpe & rue de l' Huchette--which run into the 5th from the Blvd. Saint Michel, which are stereotypical 'tourist traps' but most of the people you will see out and about are middle-aged tourists with slight 'paunches' accentuated by 'fanny-packs'--often badly dressed but hardly "unsavory". Pockets or purse will more likely be at risk on the steps in front of Sacre Coeur, out in front of Notre Dame or down at the Eiffel Tower. But if you find this area not to your liking, you're going to be positively scandalized and appalled by some of the areas in the upper portions of the 9th & 10th---between the 18th--Montmartre and 'the rest of Paris'.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,781 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,291 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,712 Reviews
Paris, France
Agoura Hills, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

One really fun suggestion for you & your kids to do would be a Segway tour. Check it out at http://www.citysegwaytours.com We were there with two teenagers last week and the overall consensus was that it was the absolute best thing we did. The Segways are very easy to learn how to use - anyone can do them. It was about 4 1/2 - 5 hours long and so much fun.

California
Level Contributor
7,491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

I second the Segway tour suggestion. We took our family in October (kids aged 14, 19, 21, 25), and it was definitely everyone's favorite activity.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

In Parc De La Villette on the northeastern side of Paris in the 19th is Cite de la Musique. We took a 13 year old there who was sure he would hate it and it turned out to one of his most favorite places in Paris and ours too. Live music at times, wonderful permanent displays of instruments old and new. A sorta museum of instruments Music everywhere........It is just great.

Mentioned in this post
Parc de la Villette
Parc de la Villette
450 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: four teenagers + Mom to Paris in December IDEAS????

Book a hotel in the St. Germain area (75006) - it's a very safe area. Lots of narrow, cobblestone streets with beautiful architecture, shops, cafes, galleries, patisseries, etc. A suggestion would be the Milliseime (sp?) on rue Jacob.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
920 Reviews
Paris, France
Rue Jacob
Rue Jacob
35 Reviews
Paris, France