We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Le Marais

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Safety Le Marais

My husband and i will be spending a week in Paris next year and have the option of an apartment in Le Marais on Rue de la Roquette near Place de la Bastille . We are unsure about the location, safety, noise etc. Can anyone comment, please?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Le Marais

I have often stayed in the Marais and have always felt safe.

I have seen some mention that Rue de la Roquette is 'frequented by young people' - whether this means late nightlife maybe someone here could clarify?

While I can't comment paricularly on Rue de la Roquette I would put my usual caveat that Paris is a major city and some noise is inevitable.

In general I would certainly recommend the Marais as an area.

HTH's

ebabe

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Le Marais

It's a stretch to call rue de la Roquette part of the Marais. I can say that the west end of the street (Bastille) can be very noisy at night. It's a popular party street with lots of bars that are open late into the night. If the address is numbered 70 or lower, it's likely to be noisy.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Le Marais

Metromole is absolutely correct.

The lower end near the pl de la Bastille is very crowded, noisy and lively at night. The bars and clubs draw a large crowd of young people out to have a good time! It can get a bit rowdy.

As you go further up, it is not a particularly charming or attractive street.

Since 2002, I always stay at the Hotel Lyon Mulhouse which is a couple of blocks to the west on the blvd. Beaumarchais. It can be a bit noisy but the atmosphere is completely different.

I have been out in this area late at night and I never feel unsafe, but I would carefully consider this location.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Le Marais

Le Marais is safe and usually not noisy; problem is rue de la Roquette is NOT in the Marais, although a few minutes walk from it. So safe too, but much noisier, as you get a lot of youngs going out/drinking around Place de la Bastille/rue de Lappe

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Le Marais

I would not refer to where you are staying as part of the Marais proper.

6. Re: Safety Le Marais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 24, 2009