We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

My husband and I really want to stay on Ile St. Louis in September but Hotel Deux Isles and Hotel Lutece are already booked for dates needed. We're able to get a room at Hotel Saint Louis, top floor with balcony, which sounds good. I am concerned that the reviews of this hotel are few and some are not that favorable. Since I became interested in Ile St. Louis from the many TA postings regarding its appeal, just wondering if anyone has any feedback - positive or negative. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $302.10*
$335.60
New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

My review of the hotel was "A Trip Back in Time". Most of the other evaluations stressed the great location. I've visited/lived

in several other excellent locations because of business requirements, but always recommend visitors stay on the Ile Saint Louis. Like many older hotels there are compromises, but the staff is cordial, and the rooms adequate. I do recall hearing that the top floor rooms were larger.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

We stayed at a B&B on Ile St. Louis and it wasjust as good as a hotel (or maybe even better!) and for a better price. Contact Francoise Foret at info@bed-and-breakfast-in-paris.com and ask her if Carol & Michel's place is available the dates you want. Francoise runs the B&B organization...Carol & Michel are the most gracious hostess and host, and we couldn't have had a more wonderful time. Fabulous breakfasts are included in the price, which I think is now 135e per night. No problems with plumbing here!!! :)

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

Thanks for the advice! Gaweca - I read the post "trip back in time"... a little concerning about the "plumbing problems" but hopefully that was an isolated incident? Thank you for your feedback though, it did ease my mind as to the hotel being a dive. To Wyf4lyf - I called the B&B rep right after reading your trip report (about a week ago) because it did sound great but Carol & Michel's B&B was already booked for the week we'll be there (in September). Looking forward to staying on I'ile St. Louis though - I'm sure its the perfect location just not so sure about the hotel. I think having a balcony that looks out onto the street will make up for what the hotel may lack in other areas! Oh Wyf4lyf - great trip reports - loved the foodie diary!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

You will LOVE Ile St. Louis. Sorry the B&B was booked. But really, you don't wind up spending that much time where you stay anyway. The island is like its own little village. Be warned that it does get loud on the streets at night lots of revelers. But during the day it's quiet and peaceful, and we just loved walking around, looking at all the buildings and shops. Also at least once a month on Friday night (it might be twice a month) hundreds of rollerbladers come barreling through late at night. It was thunderous...but fun to look out our windows and see them all.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

my husband and i stayed at this hotel about 15 years ago in a room with a balcony but i dont think it was on the top floor. friends stayed here four years ago and liked it very much, also. it was very clean and although our room was small the bed was comfortable. the staff was polite. as a change a few mornings we went to a cafe for breakfast which was also a little bit cheaper. i know some hotels wont let you take breakfast out. i remember it was noisy at night so bring earplugs if you think you may need them -i live in the country. it was not a dive very charming and the island is fantastic just like a little villlage, plus near notre dame. there was even a perfume shop along with a butcher, deli, dry cleaner, hardware store,bakery and that ice cream place which always had a line, we never tried it. we did have a meal at the creperie i'm not crazy about buckwheat pancakes but the others were good. the island is a great place to stay. another great area is near rue cler. actually, we are thinking about a trip to paris too. bon voyage

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

my husband and i stayed at this hotel about 15 years ago in a room with a balcony but i dont think it was on the top floor. friends stayed here four years ago and liked it very much, also. it was very clean and although our room was small the bed was comfortable. the staff was polite. as a change a few mornings we went to a cafe for breakfast which was also a little bit cheaper. i know some hotels wont let you take breakfast out. i remember it was noisy at night so bring earplugs if you think you may need them -i live in the country. it was not a dive very charming and the island is fantastic just like a little villlage, plus near notre dame. there was even a perfume shop along with a butcher, deli, dry cleaner, hardware store,bakery and that ice cream place which always had a line, we never tried it. we did have a meal at the creperie i'm not crazy about buckwheat pancakes but the others were good. the island is a great place to stay. another great area is near rue cler. actually, we are thinking about a trip to paris too. bon voyage

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

To Wyf4lyf: I appreciate your experience, having never been to Paris before. I'm glad the island gets busy at night (hopefully its a mix of tourists and parisiens)!!! I was wondering how easy it is to get a taxi on the island - do you have to call or is there a taxi stand... I didn't see the taxi symbol on the Streetwise Paris map (just in case it's pouring rain which may well be the case). I noted that you and your husband seemed to walk everywhere - I would rather walk than take the metro (I live in New York but refuse to take the subway here when I'm in the city (although my daughter goes to college in the city and rides the subway constantly) but I have been told the Metro is nothing like our subway system. Just in case, however, can you give me a time frame (10 minutes/20 minutes) as to some of the major sites. We're fast walkers (in spite of my one "bad knee"). Thanks Again!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

Another thought -- did you check out the Hotel Jeu de Paume? It's another option on the island to look into before you decide...

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

Actually, that really didn't seem to get great reviews... it's so hard to try to pick a place when you really are clueless as to the city although I think at this point with all the reading and TA browsing I just may know it more than NYC. My husband really likes the idea of a balcony so as not to feel cooped in a hotel room, although I doubt very much we'll be there much. He travels for work a lot so he's not thrilled with hotels, he liked the B&B idea. As long as the hotel is clean and fairly comfortable I'm sure we'll be fine. The jeu de paume is much more in price with no view or balcony. Some postings have mentioned the cleanliness factor there as well as the St. Louis Hotel so I'm not sure if it is much better. Any ideas?

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything I should know about Hotel St Louis on Ile St...

Hey PARIS-ON-MY-MIND, don't let my plumbing comment freak you out. As far as I know it was an isolated incident, and it was in 2003. You might want to contact the hotel and pose the question. My ultimate judgement is "did I get my money's worth and would I recommend it to a friend?". I say yes to both. It's not Georges V, but it doesn't cost $650 per night, and its on the Ile SL.