We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I have just seen this running on the London Forum.

Apologies to the original poster.

>>>I have decided to start this thread to allow people to post their thoughts on:

1. The very very cheapest places to eat

2. The very very cheapest tourist attractions

3. The very very cheapest places to stay

Now, when I say cheap, I'm thinking hostel cheap, I'm thinking sandwich cheap, I'm thinking catch the bus cheap, I'm thinking £5 theatre tickets - you see the way I'm going.

I think this would be a useful resource for the future - so anytime you do something spectacularly cheap and tremendously excellent, you should look up this thread and post it here.<<<

A quick search shows there isn't the same thread here.

I'ts such a good idea, please share your money saving ideas with everybody.

601 replies to this topic
Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
371. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

That is really good information, Marc! Thank you for sharing.

Reminds me of my student days. At the University of California in Berkeley, waaaaaay back when, you could get a scoop of brown rice and a dollop of gravy added to your plate for a nickel ($0.05). If you looked solefully at the server she would fill your plate with five scoops of rice covered in some sort of anonymous, but tasty liquid. For 25 cents this child gratefully managed to stave off malnutrition!

If I buy too many of those gold rings that seem to litter the paths in Paris this coming May, perhaps I will need to again go to an University cafeteria.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
372. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Thank you so much for all your advice. I will be in Paris next week and hope to see some of the great places and experiences you mention.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
373. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Get a velib pass. For less than a book of 10 metro tickets, you can ride a bike all week in Paris. It's a better way to see the city! http://en.velib.paris.fr

Take bus 69 for your sightseeing. Start at the Eiffel Tower, and end with a stroll through Pére Lachaise cemetery. SUPER CHEAP! www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php…

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
374. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

You can find the rest from here easily, but here is the best bus map (the 69 route from Tour Eiffel to Pére Lachaise) www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
375. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Hi can you tell me the name of the hote you stayed in?

thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
376. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Here are my favorite cheap eats in Paris!

1. Cosi (Rue de Seine and stop at n°54) is great for lunchtime! They sell the world's greatest oven-baked focaccia bread. For around 10 € you get a sandwich or salad, drink and dessert. You also have a lovely place to people watch on the 2nd level of the restaurant.

2. Try a famous falafel sandwich on Rue des Rosiers in the Marais district: an entirely vegan, and deliciously inexpensive!

3. The Avant Comptoir (just up from Cosi, by the Odéon metro) has fabulous aperitifs and tapas.

4. You should dine at Bistrot Victoires for a cost-friendly and absolutely divine dinner! The main course is under 10€ mark, and you HAVE to try a salade géante (giant salad)!

5. FOR FREE! The Tribal Café (right by metro Strasbourg Saint Denis) serves large portions of homemade couscous for free every Friday and Saturday evening if you buy a drink, and free mussels and fries in a delectable sauce on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Bon Appetit!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
300 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
377. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

If your corkscrew has a knife, it will probably be taken away from you at security. We carry one with no knife, and have never had a problem.

Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
378. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Hi all,

anyone tried hippopotamus and fluch ? i read those two places are very cheap eats.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
379. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

It's Flunch http://www.flunch.fr/ and no I have eaten in neither of them. Go to the link to see the menu. I understand from reading other posts that you get value for money at either one, but to not expect gourmet cooking.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
380. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Go to Hugo in the 9th arrondissement on 12 Rue Papillon for lunch or dinner. Look at the pictures of their food on Trip Advisor, tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d8… The food is beautiful. I had an entre called Croquant de chêvre au cranberries figues et amandes. It costs 7E and it's a meal in itself. I came back a second time just to order that entre and nothing else. It was absolutely devine. I told the waiter I would happily pay 15E for that wonderful dish. All of their dishes are amazingly cheap and everyone around me was enjoying their food as much as I was. The food presentation is gorgeous and the food looks as nutritious as it actually is. Gorgeous.

Edited: 3:47 am, October 10, 2013
Reply to: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted